Got me some new tires!

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally managed to get the money to get some new tires for the PSD. Went from endless years of running used tires to finally something with some tread.

Here is what I was running.. BFG All Terrains. 265/75r16 Load Range E

You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah there wasn't much left of them at all.

I did a bunch of research and decided on going with a set of GoodYear Wrangler Duratrac's. Went up a size to 285/75r16, Load range E again of course. The tires were on sale so it was not a hard decision.

I am sure actually having some tread helps, but the 285's seem to look like they were supposed to be the stock size. They fill the wheel wells in quite nicely I think.

This is my first new set of tires in recent memory, I am looking forward to not worrying about tires for a little while.

As for my take on them, they are a quiet enough tire considering the tread pattern but the rubber is definitely soft, I am pretty sure this heavy truck will wear them down sooner than I would like. They seem a little squishy on the front, but the installation place have the fronts at 50psi and the rears at 80psi, so I will see how that feels after a while.

Thanks for looking!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've heard good things about those.
Unless Towing often, I would drop the rears down. With no weight back there the centers will wear.
Different tire so it's not apples to apples, but I recently dropped the fronts to about 60 because of wear problems. Actually I dropped them all since I haven't towed anything.

So your opinion on nitrogen?
I've always wanted to try it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nitrogen was actually an oopsie in the shop, I never asked for it, but I didn't pay for it either. To be honest I am not sure what to expect from it as compared to air. But from my little bit of driving both in town and on the highway, it feels about the same as air.

I am gonna check my tire pressure tomorrow then go from there.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Imo the only downside is if you do need "air." You would have to get your own nitrogen tank, or go to a shop with it.
Well and the cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Best my Sub ever rode was with pressure set at 16 I don't recommend tho ;Really
60 is the next best pressure.
Where did you buy them from?

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it looks like there are some definite benefits to nitrogen, and apparently you can mix air and nitrogen without causing any problems other than lowering the effectiveness of the nitrogen.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought them from Canadian Tire. The main reason was there was only about a 10$ price difference per tire between them and the other stores, and they had the tires I wanted to buy for my Wife's car as well. So I put her old tires and rims (formerly her summer tires) in the back of my truck and had them swap all 8 tires in one shot.

My Wife hsa a 98 Civic which now has Hankook Optimo 4s All Weather tires. She also got accidental nitrogen! :p

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
So since the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen already, does pure nitrogen act any different in a tire?

pafixitman

Reaction score
My understanding was that nitrogen is less susceptible to pressure changes caused by temperature changes.

m885

Reaction score
^^^^ What he said. My DD came nitrogen filled. Made it 11 months before an extreme cold snap tripped TPMS.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will love the Duratracs. Great decision. I have about 10k on mine and they look like new. Driven through mud and snow and never let me down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my plan when it came to new tires. I wanted something I could go pretty much anywhere with during any season and not worry about traction so much.

Thats right on the nitrogen. The theory is to have a higher percentage of nitrogen as that is a very stable gas. It is supposed to be good long term for the tires in terms of being less likely to expand/contract with temperature changes, less likely to pass moisture on to the tire and so on. But in reality, its is not 100%, the industry standard is 93-95% nitrogen, so it isn't much different than air in the grand scheme of things, its a big money grab if you ask me. But since I got it for the same price as air, I won't argue! :)

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice looking tires!!! I like the bigger name tires. I have Firestones on my truck.....

One side question..... did you put the newer headlights in, or did the PO do that?