Got banks sidewinder in the mail, checking wheel?

Seekers

Reaction score
Pretty happy about that :thumbsup: I wanted to check the wheel for play, as this was from wrecking yard advertised as a newer unit. The Wheel has no play at all, but also doesn't spin very freely. Is this normal? I mean it turns with pressure but when you quit pushing it quits spinnig. I'm not at all familiar with these so don't know if this is the way they are. A little commentary from the wise and scholary would be appreciated. ;Sweet TIA

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
the turbine should spin very easy,a little play side to side is okay.from what you are describing it sounds like a bad bearing.
was the turbo under cover before you got it?
most turbos use bearings simalar to a rod or main bearing in a engine,they have a thin layer of oil that acts as the bearing,but some aftermarket turbos have actual ball bearings,not sure if the banks turbo uses them or not.
i would take it apart and clean it if its dirty,or take it to a good diesel shop and get there opinion,as well as ours :D
the early banks turbo i have waiting to go on has side to side play,but i dont think its excessive play.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Well, if it is new, than it likely has never been lubed and may possibly have some resistance. I don't know that it would be fair to actually call it resistance, just lack of lube due to bearing type (more like a bushing). You should, however, have some play becuase there needs to be an allowance for heat expansion.
James

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
My brand new banks sidewinder kit had very slight side to side play right out of the box, and 0 end play. This is correct, as the oil pressure centers the wheel. It also spun very freely. On yours it sounds like some oil is coked up in there, or maybe some corrosion. I would spray the oil inlet with PB blaster and see if you can get it to loosen up.

Seekers

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replys, yes this is a USED, but a newer unit, I think (read hope :angel: ) the cleaning would take care of the situation. Now if I only new what PB was I could give it a try LOL . Thanks again!

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my turbo rebuilt for my dump truck, L10 300hp Cummins and there was NO end or sde play what so ever and there is some resistance, as soon as I quit spinning it it stops spinning. BTW it cost me $680.00 to have mine rebuild, cheaper than a new one but not by much, new is $890.00

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Jim on this one. No play and smooth but resistive spin sounds like it's in really good shape to me. Look at it this way, if you put it in, it's not going to fly apart on you. Worse case, it just won't spin fast enough. I think though that once some hot oil hits it, it will spin like a champ.

Seekers

Reaction score
"NO end or sde play what so ever and there is some resistance, as soon as I quit spinning it it stops spinning" This is it to a "T" so I'm starting to feel a lot better, :thumbsup: I've been through everything else I got and only seem to need the crossover pipe left, crossover pipe assembly right, crankcase vent hose, and some misc. brackets. The wrecking yard I got this from said they will look for these items and send if found at no extra charge. I got this for $650 including shipping doing an internet search of wrecking yards one late night about 330 AM. ;Sweet I've been comparing what I got to the parts list that comes with the complete owners/installation manual downloadable on this site :thumbsup: This site is so cool with its tech articles and information. :Thumbs Up
THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS THAT MAKE OILBURNERS HAPPEN!! :thanks:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
LUCKY_LARUE60 said:
I just had my turbo rebuilt for my dump truck, L10 300hp Cummins and there was NO end or sde play what so ever and there is some resistance, as soon as I quit spinning it it stops spinning.

Jim, do you know if that turbo has a BB or a sleeve bearing? The banks turbo has a sleeve bearing and counts on a thin layer of high pressure oil to center the compressor wheel.

Reaction score
I've got side to side play in my sidewinder. Like Rob says it's typical with turbo's with a bushing instead of bearings. Not sure how long the bone yard had the turbo, or how well they protected the oil supply and return lines. I agree with Rob that you should try and get some lube circulating through the bushing. I think the PB Blaster (love that stuff) idea is good as well. After that I'd try running oil from the supply to the outlet until you get clean oil and good flow out the return. Doing all of this while working the turbine back and forth. Then like Mel, said put it on and watch your boost...that's the acid test.

Paul

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if it's been sitting any time the bearing will be dried out and it will turn a little stiff. Remember these things are made to run with pressurized oil to the bearing.... not just a film or dry.

Things sound OK to me.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob, I was not able to watch them rebuild it so can't say if it is BB or sleeve bearing and I didn't think to ask, I'm assuming it is a BB as this is a bigger turbo than you would find on light duty trucks, my dump truck is a class 8