Got a 6.0 today.

smokinporsche

Diesel Fan
Reaction score
SWEET;Sweet

Not sure what you mean when you say you loaded the "default" tune:dunno

I assume you bought a basic SCT with the canned tunes that come with it....if so you really need to try some custom tunes from a tuner like Innovative...there is no comparison:peelout

Just the default 6.0L tune that came with the unit. How do you get the Innovative tune and is it a tune that would be too hot for the head gaskets pop? :dunno

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
i'd be careful on doing any tunes on the 04, mine gave up on everything @20k miles. my 03 didn't get much farther than that. the 05er finally got head gaskets after going into the shop about 5 times each time getting a little more expensive band aid. the new head gasket still didn't get it to stop puking coolant through the exhaust, but at that point I no longer cared, I had made the determination that it was going to be the banks problem from there on out :D

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
forgot to mention, my partners 06er was a lot like my 05er, it gets along after all the times in the shop, but it will never be right without just flat out replacing the whole engine, which BG Ford keeps finding ways around.

iracemx6

Reaction score
i'd be careful on doing any tunes on the 04, mine gave up on everything @20k miles. my 03 didn't get much farther than that. the 05er finally got head gaskets after going into the shop about 5 times each time getting a little more expensive band aid. the new head gasket still didn't get it to stop puking coolant through the exhaust, but at that point I no longer cared, I had made the determination that it was going to be the banks problem from there on out :D

So....you don't think that your right foot and choice in tuners might not have something to do with your headgaskets:dunno;Sweet

The 6.0 is very finicky to tuners and every truck is gonna be different.
I've been very fortunate with mine because I have had ZERO issues with it(knocking on wood)

Last edited:

smokinporsche

Diesel Fan
Reaction score
So....you don't think that your right foot and choice in tuners might not have something to do with your headgaskets:dunno;Sweet

The 6.0 is very finicky to tuners and every truck is gonna be different.
I've been very fortunate with mine because I have had ZERO issues with it(knocking on wood)

So do you think I will be ok with the SCT tune?:dunno I do not drive mine like a bat outta bell, I only wanted the tune for better shifting, egr delete, and better MPG and everyone told me to go with the SCT.

iracemx6

Reaction score
So do you think I will be ok with the SCT tune?:dunno I do not drive mine like a bat outta bell, I only wanted the tune for better shifting, egr delete, and better MPG and everyone told me to go with the SCT.

You will be fine especially if you get a custom tune from Innovative;Sweet

Eric is one of if not the first custom tuner for the 6.0!!

You will be amazed at how much better your trans will shift with his tunes compared to the canned tunes you are running now.

I would just get an Xtreme Street file from him and that's all the power you will ever want and you should see some gain in mpg.

That file will put you around 400rwhp:thumbsup:

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start sticking money to the side for an EGR cooler delete kit. I've done a couple so far at work and they do a nice job getting rid of a big problem with the 6.0. The other main problem I have dealt with is the high pressure oil pump going out. I have replaced at least 50 of them over the last year.

smokinporsche

Diesel Fan
Reaction score
I would start sticking money to the side for an EGR cooler delete kit. I've done a couple so far at work and they do a nice job getting rid of a big problem with the 6.0. The other main problem I have dealt with is the high pressure oil pump going out. I have replaced at least 50 of them over the last year.

I did buy the intake gaskets and misc parts to do the delete, I will do mine as soon as time allows! Damn EPA! :backoff

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say the SCT tuner is quite nice we did a DPF delete on a 6.4 with the tuner and he hit 500hp at the rear wheels

Mossy Oak PSD

Reaction score
Ok Ok Ok I'll say it....

You need to get a Juice Attitude and a larger exhaust. LOL;p

No actually after driving Snicklas's X I told him I don't think I would turn it up - No it's not as quick as my goat truck but it's pretty darn snappy in stock form (wow did those words just come out of my mouth).......

Seriously the stock 6.0 is pretty darn good and you know by leaving it stock that it should last longer (again did I just say that)... I know I was impressed with Scott's truck when we drag raced them down the highway I would say it's on par with my other buddies 99 Cummins with the Juice with Attitude and high flow exhaust (from head all the way to the tail).

Congrats on the truck - do post some pictures.

Dump the edge and get an SCT you can't and won't go wrong

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went ahead and got a SCT xcal2 off ebay last month. I was fortunate to download the Spartan tunes for my strategy just before they took down the archive. I ran the Max Econony tune for a while but didn't like the shifting. Then I tried the Agressive Street tune for a while. That was a really quick tune but I again had concerns with the shifting. Overall they were good but under full throttle it missed a gear and overrevved. Scary! I decided it wasn't the right tune and ran the mild street economy tune until a week ago. It was good all around and no real complaints. I smelled coolant at a stop light. I'm not sure it was me as it hasn't happened again but I switched back to the stock tune as a precaution. I miss the SCT. Running the mild street economy tune I was averaging 1 mpg over stock.

Eric at Innovative has a good reputation. I hear his transmission control programming is the best available. I intend to get an innovative tune at some point in the future.

I would like to do an EGR delete but it is my understanding that the updated strategies (post recall in 2005) will enter a limp mode if they detect a low EGR flow condition. This is determined by the computer based on comparing the needed intake air vs actual. If the readings are too close together a low EGR flow condition is set. This parameter is set in the computer deeper than the SCT flash can go so it is not something that can be corrected on the later strategies with a tuner.:confused:

Brimmstone the 6.4's are monsters. (gotta love the common rail) Spartan has released their own tuner called the Phalanx. They dynoed one at 580 hp, 1100 ft-lbs at the wheels with just the Phalanx, an exhaust and intake I believe. It is based on the Dashdaq monitor and can read and datalog a ton of engine and transmission parameters as well. The Phalanx for the 6.0 is in beta testing right now. They can eliminate the EGR limp mode situation apparently and tune the FICM as well. This ought to be the one to get once it is in production.

Now I am just waiting for my warranty to expire and then I'll be putting some head studs, EGR delete, Phalanx and probably propane to it. That's in at least a year from now.

I have also heard that someone has solved the issue of fuel starvation at high HP on the 6.0's but they aren't sharing any details yet. The HPOP system has been the limiting factor on the 6.0 and 7.3 from what I understand so this ought to open up more potential for these motors if it is indeed for real.

I have been reading everything I can get my hands on and this is what I have gathered thus far.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue with the 6.4 is the one turbo has a bad habit of twisting and causing a boost leak. It can be tapped back into place and will hold for a while but under hard acceleration it will twist. If the 6.0 does start acting funky give me a holler before you take it in to be fixed. I can run down almost every issue they have and what to check to rule it out. As to the EGR delete I'l have to check my files at work as that is where all my info for tunes on the newer trucks is at. I'll be doing some real interesting work on monday putting a banks brake and complete exhaust system on an excursion.

smokinporsche

Diesel Fan
Reaction score
Well I went ahead and got a SCT xcal2 off ebay last month. I was fortunate to download the Spartan tunes for my strategy just before they took down the archive. I ran the Max Econony tune for a while but didn't like the shifting. Then I tried the Agressive Street tune for a while. That was a really quick tune but I again had concerns with the shifting. Overall they were good but under full throttle it missed a gear and overrevved. Scary! I decided it wasn't the right tune and ran the mild street economy tune until a week ago. It was good all around and no real complaints. I smelled coolant at a stop light. I'm not sure it was me as it hasn't happened again but I switched back to the stock tune as a precaution. I miss the SCT. Running the mild street economy tune I was averaging 1 mpg over stock.

Eric at Innovative has a good reputation. I hear his transmission control programming is the best available. I intend to get an innovative tune at some point in the future.

I would like to do an EGR delete but it is my understanding that the updated strategies (post recall in 2005) will enter a limp mode if they detect a low EGR flow condition. This is determined by the computer based on comparing the needed intake air vs actual. If the readings are too close together a low EGR flow condition is set. This parameter is set in the computer deeper than the SCT flash can go so it is not something that can be corrected on the later strategies with a tuner.:confused:

Brimmstone the 6.4's are monsters. (gotta love the common rail) Spartan has released their own tuner called the Phalanx. They dynoed one at 580 hp, 1100 ft-lbs at the wheels with just the Phalanx, an exhaust and intake I believe. It is based on the Dashdaq monitor and can read and datalog a ton of engine and transmission parameters as well. The Phalanx for the 6.0 is in beta testing right now. They can eliminate the EGR limp mode situation apparently and tune the FICM as well. This ought to be the one to get once it is in production.

Now I am just waiting for my warranty to expire and then I'll be putting some head studs, EGR delete, Phalanx and probably propane to it. That's in at least a year from now.

I have also heard that someone has solved the issue of fuel starvation at high HP on the 6.0's but they aren't sharing any details yet. The HPOP system has been the limiting factor on the 6.0 and 7.3 from what I understand so this ought to open up more potential for these motors if it is indeed for real.

I have been reading everything I can get my hands on and this is what I have gathered thus far.

WOW! Looks like you have been doing your homework! I ordered the inovations street tune for my truck yesterday and can't wait to try it out, Eric has been a real great source and I'm sure it will all work out. I will let you know the tune works in my 04.

smokinporsche

Diesel Fan
Reaction score

How big of a job is replacing the HPOP?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How big of a job is replacing the HPOP?

It is an absolute PITA. You literally have to tear the entire top center of the engine down. The EGR valve an be removed with out the special tool it just takes some patience a couple small pry bars and lots of penetrating oil. After that you have to pull all the intercooler pipes, fuel lines, oil filter housing, the turbo, the top of the fan shroud, the turbo pedestal, the intake, the EGR cooler, and the finally the cover for the HPOP. It's in the back of the block. The snap fit lines can be released with a clutch line tool if your patient. After that it's all just reassembly. It takes me between 8-10 hours to do one so a first timer I would guess maybe 15 hour of work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online