Got a 6.0 today.

BoostFiend

Reaction score
I love those king ranch seats!! (the whole thing also)

Yeah by 06 they got most of the bugs fixed on the 6.0 , as mentioned previously don't get to crazy on power mods. Only 4 head torque to yield head bolts per cylinder and blown head gaskets happen often when power is turned up to much.
They can be bad about causing oil shear make sure your using a good oil and changed on time or it will run like crap.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Dirtleg,

Very nice truck. I have been happy with my 6.0. As Travis said it is bare bones stock. The only thing I have added is a fumoto oil drain valve. Do keep up on the maintenance. I make sure to change the oil a 5k and fuel filters at 10k. I can see a difference in performance when I change the filters with just the 10k on them. Drive it hard once in a while to keep the EGR clean and moving, and I have heard on SDD no long idle time on the 6.0. (No more the 5 min has been what I was told) I can tell when it has been drive easy such as to the store or kids to school. When I drive it to work I will get after it and it will blow all the soot out and it is happy again. I do agree with Mike..... NO TUNERS!!!

tgatch

Reaction score
If you are going to do any HP upgrades stay clear of the predator. More trucks have popped head gaskets with predator than just about anything else.

Factory fuel pump is more than fine as long as you keep good filters in it. Use ONLY the fuel filter with the whit membrane around it in you frame mounted filter. I've found the best price to be on the Fuel Filter kit you can buy directly from an international dealer. Order the kit for a VT275 though, NOT the VT365. The set up from Internationall is about 1/2 the cost from Ford.

If anything, you can buy an SCT for some custom tuning that will disable the EGR and there is an "exhaust brake" function that can be used for towing. I don't have personal experience with it, but the guys that have the exhaust brake tunes LOVE them.

You have a GREAT looking truck you got there.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Yeah, SCT would be my only choice if i had a 6.0
Predator, Edge, Bully Dog are all BAAAAD for these motors.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the info. Through reading I have already determined that the only acceptable tuner would be the SCT. It turns out that my friend has the software for writing tunes for the SCT. Not that I want to start off writing my own tunes but it would be an option down the road. I would definitely do head studs first.

Update on the 4 wheel drive. It was the vacuum solenoid valve. Easy fix and works fine now.

Water Doctor, which bird are you referring to. If you mean the car it's a 65 Sport Fury. I also have chickens, ducks, peacocks, turkeys, and guineas. Whatever your needs there is a fowl here just for you.

Thanks also for the fuel filter info. I am fortunate to have an International dealer not far from my normal travel route.

I am still curious about the coolant filter media.

smokinporsche

Diesel Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, SCT would be my only choice if i had a 6.0
Predator, Edge, Bully Dog are all BAAAAD for these motors.

I have an 2004 6.0L and was thinking about adding an edge unit, but not running it hot, just for MPG is this still a bad idea?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
You're going to get better bang for your $ with SCT anyway, plus they have cool features like egr delete, torque converter lockup, improved tranny programming, etc. Of course, I don't own a 6.0, and i'm not an expert, I'm just regurgitating what I've heard.

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the old 7.3 had larger head bolts with less power. i have a an 04 6.0 six speed dually. the autos do sooooo much better when towing, but, i have a thing about missing pedals.... no HP mods at all... quickest way to a melt down. dont drive it much with no load ( empty truck by itself). these things carbon up so bad its crazy. mine is still under warranty til 2011 or 200K. it only has 57K on it now. it does amazingly well compared to a 7.3DI or the old 7.3IDI turbo models. i have been around both. just no HP mods. that means no after market intakes, ex-brakes, dont gut the cat, no chips/modules, programmers. these things are expensive to fix and the dealer knows what was done, even if you take it off before taking it in the shop... anything expect removing the muffler will leave its mark in the PCM...

smokinporsche

Diesel Fan
Reaction score
the old 7.3 had larger head bolts with less power. i have a an 04 6.0 six speed dually. the autos do sooooo much better when towing, but, i have a thing about missing pedals.... no HP mods at all... quickest way to a melt down. dont drive it much with no load ( empty truck by itself). these things carbon up so bad its crazy. mine is still under warranty til 2011 or 200K. it only has 57K on it now. it does amazingly well compared to a 7.3DI or the old 7.3IDI turbo models. i have been around both. just no HP mods. that means no after market intakes, ex-brakes, dont gut the cat, no chips/modules, programmers. these things are expensive to fix and the dealer knows what was done, even if you take it off before taking it in the shop... anything expect removing the muffler will leave its mark in the PCM...

I get so many suggestions and no real ideas on what is good and what is not. What's that saying "everyone has an opinion" My 2004 has 46K and is fine, I would like to add a turbo back free flow exhaust and a programmer but you guys scare the hell out of me on doing anything! :eek:

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rightly so. my co-worker just popped both head gaskets on an 06 king ranch f-350 with a triple dog backing a custom chip. mbrp turbo back exhuast. banks ram-air intake... both gone. dealer said (truck has only 15K on it) to go stick your f'ed truck on ebay or in your rear. we aint fixin it cause you screwed it up!!! so hes got a 52 thousand dollar boat anchor right now!!!!!!!!! to each is his own. but i blew money a 6L, and i have done more than lop off the muffler. which is all my dealer said i could due and keep the warranty. the 6L PCM is smarter than most people thank. so are the dealers... they really do know when you have had a programmer on it. they knew i had an EDGE juice module on my wifes 7.3L. they just throw flags within the normal perameters. say injection pressure is this and injection control pressure is that. they see that and say hey wait a minute... this things had a chip/programmer/module on it.... NO WARRANTEE!!!! if it would void a warranty, it will kill the engine prematurelay!!! there are only sooooo many horse-power hours in a given engine. if an engine is rated 350HP and lasts 700K, then if you give it 700HP it will only last 350K... it your money... dont waste it!

iracemx6

Reaction score
I get so many suggestions and no real ideas on what is good and what is not. What's that saying "everyone has an opinion" My 2004 has 46K and is fine, I would like to add a turbo back free flow exhaust and a programmer but you guys scare the hell out of me on doing anything! :eek:

I have a 2003 with 84K miles and it has NEVER been to the dealership and my truck has made several 12 second passes in the 1/4 on STOCK headgaskets,bolts and tranny;Sweet

Get you a good exhaust(4" from the turbo back) and a SCT programmer and you will be set!

smokinporsche

Diesel Fan
Reaction score
I have a 2003 with 84K miles and it has NEVER been to the dealership and my truck has made several 12 second passes in the 1/4 on STOCK headgaskets,bolts and tranny;Sweet

Get you a good exhaust(4" from the turbo back) and a SCT programmer and you will be set!

I did it!!! I have installed on my truck! It has 47K on her now and new 4" turbo back installed and I did do the SCT default tune, is this OK??????? The Tranny seems to shift harder and man what a difference in power!!!

iracemx6

Reaction score
I did it!!! I have installed on my truck! It has 47K on her now and new 4" turbo back installed and I did do the SCT default tune, is this OK??????? The Tranny seems to shift harder and man what a difference in power!!!

SWEET;Sweet

Not sure what you mean when you say you loaded the "default" tune:dunno

I assume you bought a basic SCT with the canned tunes that come with it....if so you really need to try some custom tunes from a tuner like Innovative...there is no comparison:peelout

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01