gooseneck hitch for bricknose

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Mornin' folks! I am looking to add a gooseneck hitch to my 87 while I am swapping to a flatbed. I was wondering what the best option would be. I wasn't sure if there are any bolt on deals, or I have to just get a gooseneck plate and bolt/weld.thanks

Rock

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any direct fit kits for a 5th wheel when I was looking, but I didn't look for just a gooseneck either.

If you wanted a gooseneck that pins into to 5th wheel rails the kit wasn't terribly expensive and only required drilling a few holes.

If you only want a gooseneck ball I'm thinking welding the plate in is going to be the cheapest way to go about it.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I didn't see any direct fit kits for a 5th wheel when I was looking, but I didn't look for just a gooseneck either.

If you wanted a gooseneck that pins into to 5th wheel rails the kit wasn't terribly expensive and only required drilling a few holes.

If you only want a gooseneck ball I'm thinking welding the plate in is going to be the cheapest way to go about it.
Looks like an excuse to buy a bigger stick welder then,lol. I really only need the gooseneck ball, so I will just weld the plate in. I am trying my hardest to keep this truck on a budget, it ain't working so far! Anyway, thanks Chris, that's the way I will go.

Rock

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work at a fab shop.

We usually lay a plate on top of the long members of the flat bed and weld it on. If you just go flat plate with no bracing, you'll want to go with 3/4" thick plate. You can go thinner if you tie it to the cross members.

This is assuming there's space for a ball above the plate.

Edit: you'll want to put a frame mount in the vicinity of the gooseneck plate.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I work at a fab shop.

We usually lay a plate on top of the long members of the flat bed and weld it on. If you just go flat plate with no bracing, you'll want to go with 3/4" thick plate. You can go thinner if you tie it to the cross members.

This is assuming there's space for a ball above the plate.

Edit: you'll want to put a frame mount in the vicinity of the gooseneck plate.
I was planning on welding the plate right to the frame of the truck. In theory, the ball should be low enough in relation to the deck of the bed, that I can have a little trap door for the ball. I will be using U bolts to secure the bed to the truck, so I can't really put the hitch on the bed.

Rock

CharlesG

Reaction score
The way I used to do this was to weld a couple pieces of angle to the frame, and then weld a 8-10 in channel across the frame under the bed. I would add a plate for reinforcement for the ball.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never really liked welding to the frame of the truck. Just seems like a bad idea IMHO

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like an excuse to buy a bigger stick welder then,lol.

Because you really NEEDED convincing to buy a new toy, er... Tool, right? LOL

If you want, I could try and get a picture of mine. One truck has angle welded in and the hitch is bolted to it and the other one has a piece of C channel welded in and the ball goes through the middle of it.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Because you really NEEDED convincing to buy a new toy, er... Tool, right? LOL
It just sounds better when I have an excuse:joker:.:Thumbs Up
If it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate a picture of your setup to give me a better idea of it. Thanks

Rock

gandalf

Reaction score
I too have a goosenect hitch, or at least my truck does. The truck has the hitch mounted on a big steel plate on top of the bed, such that the plate is within the bed. There is a hole cut in the bed so that the hitch can be turned over out of sight. The plate, in turn, is bolted in all 4 corners through the bed to the frame. See the bolt holes in the picture. This makes the bed a bit awkward for some uses. I even out the bed with a couple sheets of plywood so that it has a flat surface. This isn't the best of mountings, but it was done before I bought the truck.

Attachments

• DSCF1507.JPG
    DSCF1507.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 17

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was planning on welding the plate right to the frame of the truck. In theory, the ball should be low enough in relation to the deck of the bed, that I can have a little trap door for the ball. I will be using U bolts to secure the bed to the truck, so I can't really put the hitch on the bed.

Rock
That is really not a good idea to weld to the frame like you want.
You have to think about the frame flexing and cracking the welds.

My 86 had a Goose Neck ball hitch, The Ball was so rusted it was one with the rest of the plate frame.
When i pulled the bed for a fuel tank swap, the hitch assembly went into the scrap pile.

There were 4 pieces bolted to the frame rails. 2 on each side. 3/8" thick, 6" long, 2 1/2" wide with a 2 1/2" bend.
2 bolts went through the side rails to attach these brackets. (8 bolts total.)
Then a plate sat on these 4 brackets and bolted to them with the Ball assy, in the center of the plate.
This is with a pick up bed, a flat bed could be made similar.

Goat

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I too have a goosenect hitch, or at least my truck does. The truck has the hitch mounted on a big steel plate on top of the bed, such that the plate is within the bed. There is a hole cut in the bed so that the hitch can be turned over out of sight. The plate, in turn, is bolted in all 4 corners through the bed to the frame. See the bolt holes in the picture. This makes the bed a bit awkward for some uses. I even out the bed with a couple sheets of plywood so that it has a flat surface. This isn't the best of mountings, but it was done before I bought the truck.
I think I have the same hitch in my Ex Wife. I agree that it's not the most convenient, but since it was there when I bought the truck, I'm going to leave it. I don't want to think about attempting to move the thing. Don't they weigh about 500 Lbs or close to it? Maybe it just seems that way? I figure that if I need a 5th wheel, I can buy an adapter. I don't own anything but bumper pull trailers at this point anyway. The biggest down side for me is that I can't put my slide in camper in the bed of this truck.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The best picture I could get, sorry. Truck is parked in a puddle right now. You can kinda see the pieces of angle welded to the frame.

This bracket above the overload bracket is for the 5th wheel rails.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
That is really not a good idea to weld to the frame like you want.
You have to think about the frame flexing and cracking the welds.

My 86 had a Goose Neck ball hitch, The Ball was so rusted it was one with the rest of the plate frame.
When i pulled the bed for a fuel tank swap, the hitch assembly went into the scrap pile.

There were 4 pieces bolted to the frame rails. 2 on each side. 3/8" thick, 6" long, 2 1/2" wide with a 2 1/2" bend.
2 bolts went through the side rails to attach these brackets. (8 bolts total.)
Then a plate sat on these 4 brackets and bolted to them with the Ball assy, in the center of the plate.
This is with a pick up bed, a flat bed could be made similar.

Goat
I understand your concern, and I have thought about frame flex, but I came to the conclusion that it can't make much of a difference since most medium duty trucks( around here at least) have welded pintle and gooseneck hitches and run way overloaded. Old pickups seem to be the same way. I think the bigger concern is how it's welded. I will probably add some gussets (bolted through) on the side of the frame and welded to the plate. I just pulled the bed this afternoon, so I will spend some time thinking it out while waiting for parts.

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score

The best picture I could get, sorry. Truck is parked in a puddle right now. You can kinda see the pieces of angle welded to the frame.

This bracket above the overload bracket is for the 5th wheel rails.

I appreciate the pictures Chris, and I like that setup. Now you got me thinking:bail.

Rock