good oil for the duramax?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
OK here's the new versions. I can't attach a Excel spreadsheet so if you want it shoot me a PM and I'll e-mail it to you.

The gas version is based on my '03 Silverado Z71 with the 5.3L. The diesel version is based on my '93 Dodge Cummins. If you push your change interval to 15000 then the bottom line on the diesels becomes much better - in my case it's $697.14 savings every year at 15000 miles versus the 5000 miles with the Rotella dino. According to my calculations the biggest savings will come from reduced fuel useage and, in a long-term viewpoint, reduced maintenance costs.

The material pricing was taken off the AutoZone and AmsOil website. The AmsOil site has a very nifty feature that will show you every fluid that they offer for your particular application.

Attachments

• Synthetic vs Conventional Analysis - Diesel.pdf
    10.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Synthetic vs Conventional Analysis - Gas.pdf
    10.5 KB · Views: 2

wilsondoctor

Doctor
Reaction score
Engine Lube

Since we are talking of our favorite engine oils - check out LE- Lubrication Engineers.
I depend on Oil Analysis to tell be when you change oil. The kit cost $15.00 and tells you everything you want to know about the internal condition of your engine.
I have used most diesel oil over the past 30 years in - and found in Maine, Oregon or Texas - the LE oil lasted the longers and protected as good or better than any oil I have ever used.
JL

HeartbeatHauler

Reaction score
hi all, i have an 01 gmc with the 6.6 lb7 and was wondering the general thought is on what type[ i.e. brands ] of motor oil works the best in this type of engine. any and all input is greatly appreciated, thanx!!

I too own an 01 LB7 and I have been running Rotella T 15w-40 from the beginning. However, as mentioned above because you live in Wis. you no doubt experience some really cold temps in the winter time. I would suggest the Rotella T 15w-40 for summer time and the 5w-40 syn for winter (easier starts), or even synthetic all year round for longer change intervals. With the synthetic oils you can go way longer than the 5000 - 7500miles between changes as recommended by the factory manuals.

I suggest the Rotella because it is readily available at a good price, but really any NAME brand oil will work for regualr change intervals, and the Synthetics will be best hands down over the dino, but at a higher cost.

Last edited:

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we are talking of our favorite engine oils - check out LE- Lubrication Engineers.
I depend on Oil Analysis to tell be when you change oil. The kit cost $15.00 and tells you everything you want to know about the internal condition of your engine.
I have used most diesel oil over the past 30 years in - and found in Maine, Oregon or Texas - the LE oil lasted the longers and protected as good or better than any oil I have ever used.
JL

What does 5 gallons of LE diesel cost?

Javier

wilsondoctor

Doctor
Reaction score
Hello
I just received a 6gl pail @124.43; included shipping. After the first 6000ml change required to clean out your engine; look at a 12000 mile change; again even with 12000, the TBN was still @ 10 and the oil was still as good as new. Oil analysis indicated " good to go".
Good luck
JL

Muleman

Reaction score
Ive had several Dmax and they all had synthetics ran and i did oil analysis. Always looked great and even went 15K between changes.

DAVID BAKER

Reaction score
hi all, i have an 01 gmc with the 6.6 lb7 and was wondering the general thought is on what type[ i.e. brands ] of motor oil works the best in this type of engine. any and all input is greatly appreciated, thanx!!
I have a 07 new body style LMM.EMISSIONS DELETED AND MADE THE DIFFERENCE IN THE TRUCK.AFYER THAT I CHANGED THE OIL TO AMZOIL.I WAS ALWAYS TOLD THAT IT MADE THE DIFFERENCE.I WILL SAY THAT IT DOES.TRUCK RUNS EASIER ,DO NOT HAVE TO CHANGE THE OIL NEAR AS MUCH,AND DOES NOT RUN NEAR AS WARMS AS BEFORE UNDER A LOAD