Good Deal?

SkullTripper

Reaction score
I'm looking at trading this guy for his truck I have a 1987 Jeep Wrangler with 125kmiles 4.2 w/ mopar fuel injection kit minor lift with BF goodrich 30/9.50/15s it has 2 little bad places on the body nothing major almost ZERO rust and extrely reliable I mean i would drive it to Cali and back and not worry one bit I'm gonna call him tmrw and ask when/if the trans and engine has been rebuilt but other then that Is there any other big red flag to look for on a Cummins with almost 289k and is 289k to many miles am I lookin at a engine rebuild/other probs? Also he says it will need rear brakes soon and tires (any recommendations?) & hes throwing in a front bumper and tailgate

Heres the ad:http://gadsden.craigslist.org/cto/1721583783.html

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't see how you could go wrong mechanically, as much of a Jeep **** as I am, I am wondering if maybe you are trading $5k worth of Jeep for $3k worth of Dodge, my only "don't do it" thought.

SkullTripper

Reaction score
Ok it needs rear brakes but he said the light came on for the brakes... but it just needs shoes does that sound right or could there be a bigger problem?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my first impression is....wow...the body is not destroyed. Tire trucks are awfully ******* pickup boxes and driver's side doors. If you have extra sheetmetal lying around, that's fine. otherwise check out the body of the dodge very carefully.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would sooner just sell the Jeep and buy a nice truck that was cared for. Your Jeep is worth more than that truck in my neck of the woods. Maybe if the truck were 4x4, but even then I'd shy away from a shop truck.
Travis..

SkullTripper

Reaction score
Well I'd like to but I can't find anyone else willing to trade and I need to trade it before I move to Wyoming that way I can pull my trailer

SORTIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as Crashnzuk mentioned, this is a 2WD machine

that said, it's a great price for a 92 D250 w/ the Getrag 5-speed and it looks to be in fine condition! ask the seller if he's been overfilling the tranny

my opinion of Jeeps is very low, especially of that era

that tire truck would do your towing effortlessly, but prolly is terrible in snow

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what you have to do then. Make sure the trans shifts smooth and tight. Make sure it doesn't pop out of gear on decel, and it doesn't get hung between gears while shifting and there's no noise. A good Getrag is smooth and quiet. You may find the clutch pedal out toward the top, just make sure it starts to engage in the middle of the stroke and doesn't slip when you pour the coals to it.
Travis..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01