Going shopping

Labtales

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new here, but know the site from looking for solutions to my brothers Ford issues. My name is Bob and after 252k with my old '93 GMC crew cab with a 454, I am finally going to get a new (to me) truck. I pull so much stuff any more that a diesel is in order. I am looking in the '06-'08 range, crew cab, 4x4, 6,6, 6 spd Allison. Any thoughts? Things to shy away from? Look for? Also some pix I have seen the truck has two alternators (or it would seem) why? Thanks for entertaining my lack of any knowledge.

DD3575

08 DD2500hd
Reaction score
I have an 08 with the Allison 6 speed tranny. IMO the Allison is the best for towing. It pulls my 40 ft fifth wheel around all day long with no problem.

Underground

Underground Diesel
Reaction score
The 06-07 is LBZ and 07.5-08 is the LMM. Different body styles but simular motors. Those are good years and easy to work on. The LBZ is easier to work on because there is more engine room and IMO makes it a better truck plus the LBZ doesnt have a DPF to deal with. If you go for the LMM delete the DPF so you get better mileage plus you wont have to worry about the DPF clogging and pushing your truck into limp mode leaving you stranded on the hiway. With a good tow/mileage EFI tune and exhaust both models will last forever and get you 18-20mpg.