Glow plug issue might not be working....?

chris becker

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
So on my 1993 f350 it was hard to start this morning (29* truck bock heater was plugged in) I turned the key on and my wait to start light stayed on briefly. It went off in like less then 5 seconds and I heard a bunch of clicking from the relay up on top of the engine. And it just cranks over without even firing. It tries but won’t catch. If I give it a brief shot of ether it starts right up. Funny thing is I just replaced two of the glow plugs and tightened one up when we did the Duralift electric pump. It has autolight 1108 glow plugs in it which I know I need to replace. So what is going on? Where do I need to start figuring out what is wrong? Thanks for the help...

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all welcome to the forums, I saw your other posts and love the quad cab long bed and good fun in the snow. :)
Secondly you can double-cycle your GPs and it should do much better firing up.

What you have is probably a dead plug or bad connection to a plug. The controller senses resistance and the less plugs that are working the shorter the cycle time and then you're stuck.

For reference I have a momentary switch for my GPs and around freezing I hold it down for 15 seconds and it fires up good. One problem is those autolites, running them for so long, or at all, will end you up with swollen tips and then you're pulling a head to make it work.

How long did you plug in the block heater? 3-4 hours has been my experience in 28* weather.

MrStretch

Reaction score
Sounds like the same problem I’m in the middle of fixing. I tried a replacement GP controller and it clicked just as you’re describing. (With brand new ZD9’s). I ended up getting a kit from Wes to eliminate the stock controller. Should be here tomorrow.

For comparison sake I started mine with non functioning GP controller by plugging it in for an hour or so. (20 degrees) Had to crank for a second but didn’t have to give it the Cosby.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another note is that a good condition/well-rebuilt IP will start MUCH easier under any condition than a worn-out one.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has autolight 1108 glow plugs in it
Found the problem ;Poke

I couldn't resist. Kidding aside, it does sound like you have at least 1-2 burnt up glow plugs. Autolite's are the worst thing you can put in there, put some Motorcraft / Beru (same thing) plugs in there and you should be good to go.

chris becker

Reaction score
I had my suspicions that it might be the glowplugs. In cold weather I have the block heater plugged in overnight. Like last night. What I don’t get it was working good and then all of a sudden it’s not.

The injection pump is worn out I know because it is leaking. I have one I need to get in and rebuilt but am saving my dollars right now till end of March hopefully. Going to do the injectors at the same time.

So looks like this coming weekend I will be changing Glowplugs out.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but if your truck was plugged in overnight I have to wonder if the block heater is working. Mine the glow plugs will short cycle like that when the block heater is plugged in but the engine will start right up quick. Might want to check the block heater just to be safe.

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spray some penetrating oil on your plugs before you take them out. Then pray to sweet baby jesus that the tips are not swollen. If they are Iv had some pretty good luck with just putting some vise grips on the plug and working it back and forth with penetrating oil, but it doesn’t always work. Sometimes they can swell a pretty good amount.

throw some anti-seize on the threads of the new plugs just in case you have to mess with them in the future. ZD9 plugs can be found pretty cheap online, you shouldn’t have to spend more than $90.

Best of luck to you sir!

chris becker

Reaction score
Well just finished put in the new ZD9 glow plugs. What a difference, it starts right up. Found I had a mixture motorcraft, ac delco, and auto lite glow plugs in the thing.thanks for the help. Also found that the main supply line from my fuel filter to injection pump leaking and two line nut to the injectors leaking on the right side tightened them up and good to go.

Going post a new thread up as I found where my leak is on my injection pump. Need to see if I can fix it or if it need s a rebuild.
You must be registered for see images attach
Picture is up side down where that plastic cap is, it is leaking out of it and down the housing into the valley can I fix this?

chris becker

Reaction score
Also high idle doesn’t seem to be working all the time. How do I go about fixing that? Worked all the time till we put the electronic pump on now it is intermittent.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe the connection is loose or dirty on the switch underneath the thermostat housing. You could try wiggling it or even unplugging it and then plugging it back in several times. Also, check the connection on the solenoid for the same.