Glow plug controller cover

tnmike55

Reaction score
I had some time today when it wasn't raining or snowing and pulled the first glowplug on the right side looking at the engine. It was a Bosch brand. Tested bad with a test light Not swollen. I noticed that after replacing just this one plug the wait to start light stayed on longer than it ever has.

Where can I get the plastic cover for the controller? ? I cannot get the air cleaner housing off and on without contacting the hot lead about half the time. The air cleaner is an annoying design if there ever was one. The damn horn on the top piece makes it impossible to install or remove unless its all together. Am I missing something????

The glowplug was completely open. It didn't look that bad. Slightly swollen at the tip.

Last edited:

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.

I always just tested my GP's with a multimeter measuring ohms. What test light were you using? Were you testing the wire to see if it was getting current to the GP?

I've never used the Bosch brand. I've always gone with Motorcraft cuz the cheapos usually end up swelling in the hole and you have to use a drill to get them out. Not sure about the quality of the Bosch brand. I assume you didn't put them in, so you might as well replace them so you have some peace of mind.

Put some electrical tape or heat shrink on anything you think will short your system. I don't have the truck so I can't really visualize what you are describing (i have the van IDI), but if you could post some pics, I could help with figuring out how to get your wiring to a place where you won't be shorting and get your relay back on track.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Test light is actually how ford says to test it in the idi service manual. Hook the lead to B+ And touch the top of the gp,
If it lights up you’re good

tnmike55

Reaction score
That is the way I tested it. An ohm meter once I got it put confirmed it open.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A generic "smoking pipe" shaped boot should be on the always-hot terminal of the GP relay. Just like on the always-hot terminal of the starter relay.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a Maxwell house plastic coffee can and cut it to fit on mine. Matches the ford blue manifold and air cleaner fits perfect to. I am still looking in the wrecking yards for one, but it will do for now.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
slide over top of Glow plug controller tight fit and the air cleaner holds it down and it wont come off and all the wires are covered. no chance of a short even if you drop a tool down their. I can take a picture tomorrow if you want? let me know. Good Luck

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hm never knew you could set a cover over a gp aka glow plugs controller/relay an I second a picture or pictures

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online