Glow Plug borescope picture help

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe remove the passenger side motor mount, drop the engine down to frame to get clearance?
If you try that, make sure that you'll have enough clearance to lift the engine back up after the turbo is installed. I think you'll have better luck by loosening the cab mount and lifting the cab up a little bit.

rpdb2002

Reaction score
Trying to put new glow plugs in, threads are galled on number 8. Just want to be sure. Threads are 10mm x 1.0tpmm? Need to get a tap and chase the threads.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that sounds correct, but that’s going off my memory and I don’t always trust it. Usually it’s just carbon build up in the threads. I take one of the better used plugs, and make a thread chaser out of it. All you need is a cut off wheel in a 4” grinder. First cut off the heating element portion, then make 2 or 3 shallow cuts perpendicular to the threads. You only need to cut just slightly deeper that the threads. Clean it up with a wire brush to make sure there are no metal shavings or burrs. Squirt a little WD40 or a penetrating oil into the threads of the glowplug hole, and thread your new tool in. This will let you clean the threads without making metal that could drop down into the cylinder, and will also keep you from possibly enlarging the threads. It also can be easier working around the fuel lines (if they’re still in place) than a tap.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
If you do use a tap, cover the threads and the lines along the tap threads with anti-seize or grease. That will catch most all the shavings the tap creates cleaning out the hole.

rpdb2002

Reaction score
Thanks TNBrett,

I picked up a tap and die today, 10mmx1.0, tried the die on an old glow plug, but the die takes off way to much material. Got the Dremel tool out, made a thread "chaser" out of the old glow plugs, as you suggested. Ran a bore brush down the threads with some carb clean to break up carbon. I used some extra sticky assembly grease on the threads of these thread chasers, to catch any metal, metal shards stuck to the thread chaser grease.

Where I cut the old glow plug with the die, the diameter of the peaks of the threads measured 0.020" less than the uncut threads. The tap that I got measured 0.0045" larger than the glow plug threads. That would be a lot of slop 0.0245!

So glad that I did not use the tap and die! It must be a thread chaser, not a tap or die!

Attachments

• thread chaser.jpg
    thread chaser.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 8

rpdb2002

Reaction score
I fashioned 4 of these thread chasers out of old glow plugs, spent a couple hours going in and out. the threads kept coming out galled. Cleaned with bore brush PB, carb clean, air, etc. Still tight, threads galling. Probably would have worked, if I had used this technique to clear the carbon before I tried to install new plugs.

I ordered a CTATOOLS.com 8240 universal thread restore kit off Amazon for $105. Measured, it is not over/undersized, and will not cut new threads, just reform damaged threads.

Worked awesome, 15 minutes later, glow plug #8 went in hand tight to seat, then torqued. Did not over/under size the threads, like a tap and die would have. I measured with micrometer first. Used some sticky grease to catch any shavings. Made in USA.

Making your own thread chaser would work fine, if it was only carbon to clean up, but I think I had a damaged internal thread folded over, that the glow plug chasers were not hard enough to clear.

Just wanted to share this thread restore kit with others, does SAE and Metric.

Autolites/Champion glow plugs removed, Motorcraft ZD9s going in with anti-seize.

Not complaining, just sharing my experience with these glow plugs, hoping it helps someone else.

Attachments

• Thread restore kit.jpg
    Thread restore kit.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 10

rpdb2002

Reaction score
Put my truck all back together, runs again.

Working on some issues with indicator lamps on the dash. Every piece of plastic is crumbling and breaking. Every plastic hole in the dash that holds a screw for the instruments, is crumbling and breaking.

Does anyone here have a decent dash and instrument cluster for sale?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online