getting rid of pos6.0

tgatch

Reaction score
Been happy with my 2004 I bought in Feb of 2004 off the lot.

The truck has had:
2 EBP sensors
1 VGT sensor
1 EGR
Headstuds done 2 years ago.

Mods:
EGR Cooler delete
Quadzilla Xzillaradier for 55,000 miles
Quadzilla Adrenaline for the last 12,000miles
3.5" down pipe
4" Exhaust

The truck has never made me wonder if it will get me home towing my 13,000+lbs 5th wheel. It will run low 14's at 96mph(2wd launches suck). Has a dyno proven uncorrected 400WHP. The truck has been pretty rock solid for me.

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck has never made me wonder if it will get me home towing my 13,000+lbs 5th wheel. It will run low 14's at 96mph(2wd launches suck). Has a dyno proven uncorrected 400WHP. The truck has been pretty rock solid for me.

Thankfully there are a lot of statisfied 6.0 owners out there and no one can argue with the grunt behind a good rnning 6.0. No offense when I say that most, not all ,of the fellow technicians I talk to form a very different opinion of the 6.0L. After working on them for a few years you begin to lose faith. It's also hard for us to remember sometimes that for every truck you see in the shop there are thousands more out there doing just fine. The mods and repairs you have made address some of the biggest problems they had. Hopefully you modded your EGR cooler before it began to leak and create any unseen engine damage. The EGR cooler concern has toasted a lot of engines

JohnBoyToo

Reaction score
Had an 03 6.0 Ex I loved and modded - liked it so much I wanted the ast of the breed and we traded it on our 05 Ex....

It has had the sct on it since birth almost - maybe 5k stock...

I do the maintenance regularly and have a 100k warranty...

@ 99k now and considering pre-spending my auto repair money on the 200k warranty...

but am in a tizzy - do I save the $1800 for repairs that may not come or buy the 200k "insurance" :) :) :)

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Reading on what everyone says on the 6.0 just scares me. My cousin has an 03 or 04 lifted crew. He hasnt had any probs with his yet but got a head stud kit with gaskets for xmas so hes doin that sometime to his so he doesnt have to do it later. I know its expensive to fix these motors when they do go. I just wouldnt want to fix one. I've settled on a 7.3 just from hearing all the bad things on the 6.0. Now i would buy a 6.0 if it had all the fixes done to it already then i might buy one. Im rebuilding my cobra motor that is a 4.6 DOHC motor that had bad headgaskets. Thats a pain in **** enough already and its expensive!

JohnBoyToo

Reaction score
Again, not 'everyone' says bad things :) I opted not to get the extended 200k warranty...

no other fixes done to mine other than the sct and a Walker BTM
makes it sound and run fine @ 103k....

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine bought his 6.0 brand new in 05 and now has 510,000 miles on it! :eek:
Him and his wife up until recently pulled 5th wheel rvs all over the place from the factories to the rv lots.
He replaced the transmission at 375,000 miles, with a brand new, not rebuilt.
He says he has had alot of front wheel bearing problems and has had some issues with injectors but otherwise it has been a good truck for him.
He also said the EGR valve would plug up once in a while and he would have to pull off the highway and clean it out.
He says he never shuts the truck down hot without idling for several minutes first and always lets the engine warm up before driving and even with the miles on it now, it doesnt leak or burn a drop of oil.

He has the truck for sale right now and it is still in showroom condition but who the hell would buy something with that many miles!!

FX4 Level2

NEEDS A DIESEL
Reaction score
A friend of mine bought his 6.0 brand new in 05 and now has 510,000 miles on it! :eek:
Him and his wife up until recently pulled 5th wheel rvs all over the place from the factories to the rv lots.
He replaced the transmission at 375,000 miles, with a brand new, not rebuilt.
He says he has had alot of front wheel bearing problems and has had some issues with injectors but otherwise it has been a good truck for him.
He also said the EGR valve would plug up once in a while and he would have to pull off the highway and clean it out.
He says he never shuts the truck down hot without idling for several minutes first and always lets the engine warm up before driving and even with the miles on it now, it doesnt leak or burn a drop of oil.

He has the truck for sale right now and it is still in showroom condition but who the hell would buy something with that many miles!!

THATS A HELLUVA STORY!

whys is he selling it?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
all I know is I cant afford to even open the hood on a 6 liter. My friend just did his injecters and said it cost him 900 bucks PER INJECTOR!!!! Well i guess it cost ford cuz its under warranty but Ill stick with my 7.3 IDI thanks. Im not saying its a bad motor or a good one all I know is that shes has some solid gold parts.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THATS A HELLUVA STORY!

whys is he selling it?

He is selling it because they dont pull trailers anymore. With the economy the way it is, RV sales dropped so bad that the factories just arent pumping them out like they were 2 years ago.

He wants ten thousand bucks for it but I told him he is going to have to drop way below that!

FX4 Level2

NEEDS A DIESEL
Reaction score
He is selling it because they dont pull trailers anymore. With the economy the way it is, RV sales dropped so bad that the factories just arent pumping them out like they were 2 years ago.

He wants ten thousand bucks for it but I told him he is going to have to drop way below that!

that sucks!

If i wanted a 6.0 id trade him.. thats about what i owe on mine...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online