getting rid of pos6.0

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my 6.0. I will leave the whining and moaning to others.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point on the Vt 365 and Vt275 getting good reviews in the IH lineup. I think the 6 is not a bad engine but the emissions controls make it harder for them to perform well in a P/U than in a medium duty where those restrictions are relaxed. Its good to hear that some people are having good luck with them.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Good point on the Vt 365 and Vt275 getting good reviews in the IH lineup. I think the 6 is not a bad engine but the emissions controls make it harder for them to perform well in a P/U than in a medium duty where those restrictions are relaxed. Its good to hear that some people are having good luck with them.

It seems like these engines are more sensitive to heat than anything else, and in the MD's they can breathe. Maybe that is the secret, do whatever you have to do to help manage the thermal issues. My 7.3s were in vans and after synthetics and Problend they were much happier.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have a buddy who worked at IH for over 25yrs, he said when it came to the 6.0 you either got a really good one or a really bad one....God help you if you got a bad one he said laughing...LOL

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I have a buddy who worked at IH for over 25yrs, he said when it came to the 6.0 you either got a really good one or a really bad one....God help you if you got a bad one he said laughing...LOL

BRT, I know this is off topic but what is the deal with the ISL?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The ISL is the 8.9L big brother to the 6.7L ISB and 8.3L ISC....The ISL is available to 425HP in emergency vehicles....Pretty snorty little engine....Answer your question?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The ISL is the 8.9L big brother to the 6.7L ISB and 8.3L ISC....The ISL is available to 425HP in emergency vehicles....Pretty snorty little engine....Answer your question?

I saw a guy who swapped one into a Kodiak because his Cat 3126 was just a little too weak. It wasn't easy, but it was worth the pain. He just has a hard time controlling the power because loaded or unloaded it blows the tires off.

Desert Dually

cane corso
Reaction score
I saw a guy who swapped one into a Kodiak because his Cat 3126 was just a little too weak. It wasn't easy, but it was worth the pain. He just has a hard time controlling the power because loaded or unloaded it blows the tires off.

man that sounds cool as shyte! Are there any pics or videos of that thing floating around on the internet?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Get on the Turbo Diesel Registry site and look for the ISL-400 swap into the Kodiak. If I remember, he swapped in the 10 speed too. That thing is mean as heck, no shortage of power.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Now for a diesel tech like myself owning a 6.0 wouldn't be bad as long as it was in an 80-96 chassis so it's fit to work on...LOL....I can do my own headgasket job "when" it lets go..

MMeier

Reaction score
Get on the Turbo Diesel Registry site and look for the ISL-400 swap into the Kodiak. If I remember, he swapped in the 10 speed too. That thing is mean as heck, no shortage of power.

You must be talking about Scott Bentz's project. Actually, he yanked the POS 3116 Cat pile out.... has a pretty cool dragster too, check it out! www.cumminsracing.com WOW! Looks like this year has not been too nice to him, hope he gets well quick !!

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
APPRECIATE....

... knowing there are others out there who've had good experiences with their 6.0 rigs.

I did recently have a cold start/run issue, just jacked up the injectors and all is good.

FWIW- the 6.0's that I've seen/heard about being blown up are usually caused by fella's jacking up their performance and trying to haul loads as if they were driving a Corvette with no load. I don't care what you drive, it will fail like that.... even Cummins, I see them fail in the marine side when improperly driven too. There is actually a range on the throttle, not just off-n-on.

This is the biggest reason as to why I haven't invested in chips etc...I've been on pins-n-needles since '04 because of the bad rappers...besides, my needs have all been met by my "factory" settings....except for one stump pull which has kicked both the trucks, chains and my ***** trying to get out.

Appreciate all of the input and look forward to blogging with this grease crowd further. A lot of good stuff and depth of experience around here.

THX again for your views.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88