Getting rid of my idi

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So as people stated the timing gears where off about 2 teeth so now I get to clean everything up and put it all back together. Everything has a lot of oil build up.
You're going to have to buy new tires from all the extra power now! A turbo still wouldn't be a bad investment though.

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're going to have to buy new tires from all the extra power now! A turbo still wouldn't be a bad investment though.

I'll be buying a turbo every one says it makes them a total different animal. I do have to thank all of you guys for helping me figure this out. If it wasn't for you guys and this forum the pickup would probably gone by now.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How far would the timing be out if it's 2 teeth off?? I had the pump turned way to the passenger side when it was running before I took it apart.
Approximately 13.6 degrees. 6.8 degrees of crank rotation per tooth. With the pump way passenger, you were 'only' 6-8 degrees retarded.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since he is studded he can use all the boost his fuel system can produce, so 16-22 psi I’d say

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s about as much boost as you can make with the stock ip. Add more fuel and you can double that boost.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s getting out of the efficiency range of the stock turbo, not really a reliability issue, just more boost out of the 30 year old design turbo just becomes diminishing returns.