Getting rid of my idi

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you turn it to the passenger side it starts dumping black smoke out like crazy and it gets really loud with the clatter.
Then that’s not the way you want to go then, try going the other way and see if you can get an improvement in power and temps.

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to ask, What all did you do to it?

Pull the heads off new head gaskets, ARP studs, injection pump, injectors, valley pan gasket,t stat rad hoses, zd9 glow plugs, valve cover gaskets, starter, swapped over to SMF, batterys and cables, radiator, resealed oil cooler, drive line u joints and slip joint, ball joints, brakes all the way around, parking brake cables, wheel cylinders, master cylinder for clutch and brakes, slave cylinder, all new steering components, 4inch rough country lift kit, new rear springs, transfer case resealed, diff fluid have all been changed, fuel filter, it has EGT gauge, water temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure gauges installed, door locks, seat re done, new back window, windows all tinted, new headlights, exhaust all done, 315/75/16 tires,

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the heads off new head gaskets, ARP studs, injection pump, injectors, valley pan gasket,t stat rad hoses, zd9 glow plugs, valve cover gaskets, starter, swapped over to SMF, batterys and cables, radiator, resealed oil cooler, drive line u joints and slip joint, ball joints, brakes all the way around, parking brake cables, wheel cylinders, master cylinder for clutch and brakes, slave cylinder, all new steering components, 4inch rough country lift kit, new rear springs, transfer case resealed, diff fluid have all been changed, fuel filter, it has EGT gauge, water temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure gauges installed, door locks, seat re done, new back window, windows all tinted, new headlights, exhaust all done, 315/75/16 tires,
Sounds like you’re ready for a turbo.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Those tires dang sure aren't helping any. Nor the bro lift.
Might be beyond the help of a turbo. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have almost the same tires on the rear of the shop truck, it will spin them through 3rd with the stock turbo and now stock pump

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But what size are you actually running?
And you're towing the same Travel trailer as he has?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But what size are you actually running?
And you're towing the same Travel trailer as he has?

285/75/16, pulling a 37 foot 1972 Avion triple axle camper. Haven’t pulled that particular trailer with the new engine yet but even with the na engine I could easily maintain 75 mph on flats and 55 up long hills, as I mentioned in his previous thread.

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The lift wasn't my first choice one of the drop brackets broke and I couldn't find one so I went with the lift kit I'm looking for wanna 60 straight axle. The truck also has 4:10 gears

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285/75/16, pulling a 37 foot 1972 Avion triple axle camper. Haven’t pulled that particular trailer with the new engine yet but even with the na engine I could easily maintain 75 mph on flats and 55 up long hills, as I mentioned in his previous thread.

I couldn't hit 75 if I wanted to pulling that camper. It has no get up and go. Egts on flats with it 700 to 800 that was trying to 55.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7-800 isn’t bad especially if your probe is in exhaust manifold. You can maintain 1100 without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online