gems from Amazon......

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would help transmission warm ups here in the Minnesota winters. My E40D cooling lines don't go through the radiator anymore since the trans burned up in 2004 and it was rebuilt with a aux trans cooler in front of the a/c condenser up front. My trans doesn't want to shift properly here in the winter time until it is warmed up to proper temperature.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I considered doing something similar with the power steering on my Chevy. I put hydroboost on and in the cold it'll whine something fierce until it warms up. I want to keep the cooler because I have hydro and a plow and that's a decent amount of stress on a power steering system. I might just end up flushing the old tranny cooler in the Rad and using that after I swapped to Manual.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I considered doing something similar with the power steering on my Chevy. I put hydroboost on and in the cold it'll whine something fierce until it warms up. I want to keep the cooler because I have hydro and a plow and that's a decent amount of stress on a power steering system. I might just end up flushing the old tranny cooler in the Rad and using that after I swapped to Manual.
when I'm in heavy mountain roads with plenty of swtchbacks and steep grades, I can really heat up the power steering fluid circuit. i have a tube type cooler with an electric fan for that work. I'd like to automate it and the switch will help do so. one more thing.....do not use the trans cooler in the radiator or a stacked plate cooler to cool a power steering system. the flow restriction is too great in those coolers for a power steering system.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would help transmission warm ups here in the Minnesota winters. My E40D cooling lines don't go through the radiator anymore since the trans burned up in 2004 and it was rebuilt with a aux trans cooler in front of the a/c condenser up front. My trans doesn't want to shift properly here in the winter time until it is warmed up to proper temperature.

Try one of these out. I have one on one of my other vehicles (my IDI is a stick) and it works great. It didn’t like cold weather shifts after I bumped up the line pressure. Trans warms up from 30° into the 100s within minutes of driving.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/323114184310

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I'm in heavy mountain roads with plenty of swtchbacks and steep grades, I can really heat up the power steering fluid circuit. i have a tube type cooler with an electric fan for that work. I'd like to automate it and the switch will help do so. one more thing.....do not use the trans cooler in the radiator or a stacked plate cooler to cool a power steering system. the flow restriction is too great in those coolers for a power steering system.

I run an OEM Ford Explorer trans cooler for my power steering cooler and haven’t had any problems. I have a Saginaw pump and run actual power steering fluid rather than ATF. I’m not quite sure what category those coolers fall into as far as design. They’re pretty unique. Also very stout, conveniently have 3/8” barbs, and are plentiful in the junkyards.

EDIT: seeing as they are the same construction as B&M supercoolers, I see they are considered stacked plate.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run an OEM Ford Explorer trans cooler for my power steering cooler and haven’t had any problems. I have a Saginaw pump and run actual power steering fluid rather than ATF. I’m not quite sure what category those coolers fall into as far as design. They’re pretty unique. Also very stout, conveniently have 3/8” barbs, and are plentiful in the junkyards.

EDIT: seeing as they are the same construction as B&M supercoolers, I see they are considered stacked plate.

are you running hydroboost too? that system has a very high flow demand. all my rigs are hydro equipped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online