Gear Vendors Install on 7.3 C6 with 4.10s

KYBricksandBulls

Reaction score
Oh, and GV couldnt make up their minds on the torque specs for those adapter bolts. The "quick sheet" installation guide said 30 ftlbs, while the more in depth user manual said 45 ftlbs. Hmmmm...I have them at 30 currently. Ill look up what the stock spec is and make a final decision.

KYBricksandBulls

Reaction score
Duh, forgot to mention the final driveshaft cut length. 14". And the yoke end of the driveshaft has to be upgraded to a Spicer 1350. Im going to drop it of at Republic Diesel in Louisville KY tomorrow morning. Ill have them install a new carrier bearing too while they shorten, and balance it. 2 peice driveshaft have to be balanced together FYI.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and GV couldnt make up their minds on the torque specs for those adapter bolts. The "quick sheet" installation guide said 30 ftlbs, while the more in depth user manual said 45 ftlbs. Hmmmm...I have them at 30 currently. Ill look up what the stock spec is and make a final decision.
Remember, that tcase has a lot of mag in it, read SOFT.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either I've had bad luck or bad units, but have replaced it 2-3 times. Reverse clutch failure.

You must be registered for see images attach
This is why I am putting a built 4r100 in the dually, if it craps out on the camping trip I can get one at any dealer., If the GV I have in there now does, Im down for who knows how long.
Otherwise I like it.

KYBricksandBulls

Reaction score
I dropped off the driveshaft this morning for modification. Republic Diesel in Louisville, been going there since I was a kid. Theyve always done good work. Cant wait to get it back.

KYBricksandBulls

Reaction score
This is why I am putting a built 4r100 in the dually, if it craps out on the camping trip I can get one at any dealer., If the GV I have in there now does, Im down for who knows how long.
Otherwise I like it.
GV gives me 6 gears, if I ever go to a ZF5, NV4500, or a built auto with OD....8, 10 gears....worse case scenario for you is to carry a spare full length driveshaft and tail housing so you can do a roadside uninstall of a GV unit if you HAVE to. Then repair GV unit and re-install. I like the GV because its just easier to mess with and give you the split gears.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
GV gives me 6 gears, if I ever go to a ZF5, NV4500, or a built auto with OD....8, 10 gears....worse case scenario for you is to carry a spare full length driveshaft and tail housing so you can do a roadside uninstall of a GV unit if you HAVE to. Then repair GV unit and re-install. I like the GV because its just easier to mess with and give you the split gears.
I am no transmission expert, but I have to wonder why you would want a nv4500 with the 5th gear problems they have. I know they have fixes for that, but I would think the zf5 is better even then.
I always liked the idea of a 1 ton with a zf5 with a 2 speed brownie box, but they are very hard to find.

Rock

KYBricksandBulls

Reaction score
I am no transmission expert, but I have to wonder why you would want a nv4500 with the 5th gear problems they have. I know they have fixes for that, but I would think the zf5 is better even then.
I always liked the idea of a 1 ton with a zf5 with a 2 speed brownie box, but they are very hard to find.

Rock
Im actually not too familiar with the NV4500, I have just seen online that its a popular swap. Im sticking to automatics in this truck more than likely. I wasnt aware of this issue with 5th gear, thanks for bringing it to my attention. If this C6 goes out, im replacing it with a built Monster C6. Ill keep the automatic 6 speeds for now. The biggest crap point about a C6 is they only have 3 gears. GV solves that. C6s are rugged and proven, especially when built with stronger aftermarket parts.

My 82 Flareside has a 4 speed SROD....If you want to bash transmissions....that one SUCKS major donkey stick. That 2-3 shift is just AWEFUL

Black dawg

Reaction score
Every GV failure that I have seen was either out of oil or had been trying to back up a heavy load. I always recommend people use 4x4 if they have to back up something heavy.

It is funny all the different oils that gear vendor has said is the right oil to use over the years.

THe problem that I have always had with a c6 (behind a diesel) is the lack of locking converter(and crappy 1st and second ratios) Better lower stall converters are available but have their downsides as well.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Rock
Back in ‘98or ‘99 I was working a fair amount in Ft. Smith Arkansas. My boss had just bought a Cummins dually w/ the 5spd. I would follow him out there in the Powerstroke we had. He lost 5th gear on two separate trips out there. I don’t think I’ll ever forget those two trips back to Nashvile with him in 4th gear the whole way. It was absolute torture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KYBricksandBulls

Reaction score
Back in ‘98or ‘99 I was working a fair amount in Ft. Smith Arkansas. My boss had just bought a Cummins dually w/ the 5spd. I would follow him out there in the Powerstroke we had. He lost 5th gear on two separate trips out there. I don’t think I’ll ever forget those two trips back to Nashvile with him in 4th gear the whole way. It was absolute torture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, its pretty torturous in a F250 IDI with 4.10s and a C6 when trying to get somewhere in good time. Im really pushing it to hit 65-70 mph.

I'll probably regear eventually, maybe 3.50 -3.73ish. I think that requires the GV brain to be reprogrammed...I dont know.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gear splitting with a gear vendors DOES NOT happen at low speeds so you can take off at least 1 on the bottom.Maybe 2.

And I have enough torque with my cam to make up for gear gaps.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, its pretty torturous in a F250 IDI with 4.10s and a C6 when trying to get somewhere in good time. Im really pushing it to hit 65-70 mph.

I'll probably regear eventually, maybe 3.50 -3.73ish. I think that requires the GV brain to be reprogrammed...I dont know.
It doesnt, mine works even better with 3:73 from 410.

KYBricksandBulls

Reaction score
The gear splitting with a gear vendors DOES NOT happen at low speeds so you can take off at least 1 on the bottom.Maybe 2.

And I have enough torque with my cam to make up for gear gaps.

Not sure what you mean here. Ive got mine installed now and I have 1st, 1st over, 2nd, 2nd over, 3rd and 3rd over shifting it manually.

I'll do a video and writeup soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online