1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear Vendors Install on 7.3 C6 with 4.10s

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by KYBricksandBulls, Feb 16, 2021.

1. KYBricksandBulls

KYBricksandBulls Registered User

Ordered it last week. Cant wait to install. Figured Id document it here. Stay tuned. Ill do pics and videos.

2. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

This will be an interesting thread. I'll be watching for sure.

KYBricksandBulls likes this.
  3. Farmer Rock

Farmer Rock just a fella' without a 10mm socket

:popcorn

Rock

4. KYBricksandBulls

So here is the unit unboxing. No work on it yet until this weekend. I will make some videos. Sorry for poor video quality, im filming on an old busted phone. Ill have better picture quality once I upgrade.

5. Old Goat

Old Goat Full Access Member

I`ll be following along one this, thanks for the video.
    Before I could watch it I got the following message
    from Google. Had to click on I`am not a Robot.
    Any body have this come up?

About this page

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it's really you sending the requests, and not a robot. Why did this happen?

This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests stop. In the meantime, solving the above CAPTCHA will let you continue to use our services.

This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-in, or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your network connection, ask your administrator for help — a different computer using the same IP address may be responsible. Learn more

Sometimes you may be asked to solve the CAPTCHA if you are using advanced terms that robots are known to use, or sending requests very quickly.

I don`t buy what they say, it`s probably the idiots at
    Google don`t like what I look at on YT. And want to
    shut me out.

Maybe Diesel engines, grease and grime don`t come
    under their prefered guide lines things to look at. :dunno

Goat

6. KYBricksandBulls

Dont get me started on the politics, censorship, and B.S. of all that.

Subscribe to my youtube channel and hit the bell icon and you will get a notification when I upload a video.

7. Old Goat

Old Goat Full Access Member

Gotcha. signing up.

OH I fully under stand the Google bs.....

Goat

8. 71 Highboy

71 Highboy Registered User

So I did something similar many years ago. A turbo'd intercooled 6.9 / C6 with the gear vendor unit at the rear of the trans, but in front of the remote NP205 T case. I had to move the case back about 2 1/2 inches, eliminate the jackshaft completely, and use the u joint for a common connection. The rear drive line has a CV joint at the forward end. I had already converted to 3:54 gear sets from 4:10 when I put the diesel in, so the GV just made it better. Either I've had bad luck or bad units, but have replaced it 2-3 times. Reverse clutch failure. Change the oil regularly to keep them clean. They work hard on about a quart. Not a real good pic, but fun to drive in manual mode rather than auto mode, where it will go to OD at 47 mph.

EXTRA COOLANT CAPACITY.jpeg

Cubey and KYBricksandBulls like this.
  9. KYBricksandBulls

Very nice. I was wondering about longevity, but mine will be in auto mode most the time. I bought it to run it for daily commute to work. I will haul occasionally, but very very occasionally.

Cubey likes this.
  10. KYBricksandBulls

I didnt get anything done this weekend. I did set out to go get the lube for the unit, but quickly discovered no one carries ACDELCO GM12346190 gear oil....So I am going to call GV today to see if I can narrow down an equivalent that is readily available at parts stores. I hope I dont HAVE to order gear oil online all the time for it.

11. cre1992

cre1992 Full Access Member

I'd see if amsoil has an equivalent. (Big fan of amsoil for just about everything, can be pricey though.) If not try a local napa, if they don't have what you need in stock, they can usually get it pretty quickly.

I'd also check a chevrolet or gmc dealer.

12. KYBricksandBulls

I checked Oriellys, Autozone, Advance, and then drove 1 mile down to the Chevy dealer. Walked into the parts counter and no one was around. I yelled "anyone home?" Waiting a couple minutes and no one ever showed up. I said "well screw this..." the place was a mess too. I dont think ill be going back there.

AMSOIL has an equivalent, but I want to get an okay from GV before I buy or order anything.

13. Farmer Rock

Farmer Rock just a fella' without a 10mm socket

what did you expect, it's a chevy dealer lol.:joker::rotflmao

I agree, that napa should be able to get what you need.

Rock

14. KYBricksandBulls

Just talked to Mike at gear vendors, he said the ACDELCO GM12346190 Gear Oil is obsolete, and to use Lucas 75W-90 Full Synthetic. Getting it tonight.

15. KYBricksandBulls

Im a DIY guy who has NEVER taken a car to a dealer for service. I was appauled at what I saw in there. Yup....never going there for any part. Ill google the crap out of something and order NOS from Joe Blow on FleaBay before I go back there...hahaha

Farmer Rock likes this.