GDP 6 Position Chip - 7.3L Ford 02-03 Automatic

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Get the hydra. Those old style rotary switch tuners are outdated. The hydra you can download the tunes yourself, so in the future if you get a custom tune, they will email it to you and you put it on. The rotary switch style, you have to mail it in.
1023, jellibuilt(sp?), cncfab, are names I trust.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I didn't even notice the price, that is cheap. Only thing is, no telling how much longer places will burn tunes onto them.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to argue with that price. I have a six position rotary, and if I had it to do over again I would go Hydra for all the reasons that Jasper has stated. I bought mine to move to transmission shiftpoints as I really hated the way my PSD shifted. It's worked for what I wanted it for, but if I added injectors to my truck it would be nice to have a custom tune to support them. Add an intercooler, and you need another tune. Etc, etc.

But for $80, you could probably buy it, use it and if you decide to update later on you could always sell it for whatever you can get for it.

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But for $80, you could probably buy it, use it and if you decide to update later on you could always sell it for whatever you can get for it.

....those were my thoughts....my '02 F-350 7.3 is completely stock. Would this unit work well for me?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
For the price, I would go ahead and buy it.
It appears they are so cheap because GDP Tuning has discontinued them.

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the price, I would go ahead and buy it.
It appears they are so cheap because GDP Tuning has discontinued them.

....yes....understood....but, would this item be something that would soon be rendered obsolete?....or, would it serve its purpose well enough for a while?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
....yes....understood....but, would this item be something that would soon be rendered obsolete?....or, would it serve its purpose well enough for a while?
Through that company, yes. I don't have any experience with GDP. Thoroughbred is just a middle man. Standup company, but if the "manufacturer" (ie: GDP) no longer supports, thoroughbred can't do anything about it.
They don't typically fail. I would say it will get you by awhile. I also know nothing about GDP tunes. I would assume they are using php's tuning library. So the canned tunes on it should be alright. Nowhere near the best you can get, but also wont burn your engine down.

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the canned tunes on it should be alright. Nowhere near the best you can get, but also wont burn your engine down.

that's what I was wondering....if the "canned" on-board tunes will improve performance, that would be enough for me....mind you, it runs really good now....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It will definitely make a difference over stock.
I left mine in the highest setting that php offered.