GB Remanufacturing valve cover harneses

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have only ever used Motorcraft valve cover gaskets and harnesses on powerstrokes, but I recently bought 2 set of GB Remanufacturing 99-03 7.3, new in the box harnesses at an estate sale of a Ford mechanic, for next to nothing.

Any horror stories with GB Remanufacturing? I might give them a shot.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I haven't heard any good or bad.
Dorman used to be junk, but several here have had good success with them lately as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I'll give them a shot. I have a glow plug and harness/vc gasket job to do coming up, and will install the GB's. They do seem to be made in the USA...which is a good start

Oldfrogdiving

Reaction score
My 96 F350 box tuck is in a bind with my VCG pax side, intermittent fire on injector 3, pulled legacy VCG inspected it, rung it out, couldnt find any issue re-installed it truck fired up and purred, pulled with good power no lope but lasted about 12 miles till misfire came back. I am waiting now to get a VCG from Napa Im hoping its decent quality. My local ford dealer is back logged for 8-10 days. and wanted $160 for pax side. I was hoping to drive the BGT to Arkansas looks like my IDI is up now.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM or fix it again.

Another mod to consider, and I believe this is major reason for UVCH failure, is to put the glow plug relay on a switch. You can then disable the glow plugs when they aren't really needed as well as turn them off once the truck starts. Saves wear and tear on the wiring harness IMO. Add an LED alongside the switch and you can see how ridiculously long the glow plugs stay energized after engine start, as well as when they are activated at "warm" temperatures.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yes the glow plugs on a remote switch is probably one of the best reliability modifications one could do on a 7.3 psd in my opinion. Really saves on alternators, harnesses and oddly enough motorcraft glow plugs seem to really last a long time in powerstrokes even when on factory control, but will last even longer on manual control.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
One thing with the GB harnesses, they have an integrated plug for the UVCH/VCG join area so less **** in there to melt or come uplugged. I think that is a note worthy upgrade

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Installed a set on a 00 yesterday. No fitment issues or any visible weak spots. Made note of mileage and sent the truck away and we'll see how they do

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't say anything about GB, but I recently tried to buy OEM ones but they were backordered, so I purchased a set of Mahle UVCH/gaskets as my past experience with Mahle is they make good stuff. I was really pleased with the parts when they showed up: Made in the USA and copper contacts on the plugs (I've heard some of the other brands such as Doorman use aluminum). They plugged in very nicely/positively with the Navistar harness plugs and the harness inside the cover.

I would also add: I paid about what one side would cost for a both sides (they came in a set).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-98-03...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online