Gasser down, need advice!!

Halfpint

Reaction score
I have a stock 97 F250HD 4x4 with a 460, 143K miles. I bought it from my neighbor a year ago who had it for 18 years. A few weeks ago I get a P1151 code. Lean/slow response on upstream 02 sensor. Both upstreams were replaced by me with NTK's when I got the truck as a maintenance/tune up item. OK, maybe one went bad. I buy another one, clear the codes with a scanner and in 2 cycles its back. I check for vac leaks, clean the MAF, check wiring, grounds and nada, I give up. Into the shop it goes where I explain in detail what Ive done so far. I get a call and they tell me they have been farting around with a "real ford" 02 sensor and it made no change, well no kidding. I explain again Ive been down that road already and they need the truck over night to see what it does when its cold. After a few words from the service manager Im get the feeling it could take endless hours swapping parts at my cost to fix my truck.
This is a 5 star rated local shop. Ive also had 2 other OBDII F250 with lean issues that ended up being a fortune to diagnose and fix including a ford dealer and in one case the CEL was back after a 1000 miles. Is it really that difficult to pin point a failed system on a OBDII vehicle? I getting the wrong shops trying to fix things over their heads with antiquated equipment? I feel ill really over this frustrating repeat circle jerk of computerism, Im ready to go find a pre computer 4x4 and never look back.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would be looking for a vacuum leak.
While it is obd2, it's not very advanced. Pretty "dumb" compared to today's diagnostics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Halfpint

Reaction score
Looks like we got it figured out. I replaced the 02 sensors with Motorcrafts and Viola....no more problems. Although the O/E' are made by Bosch the Orileys Bosch and the NTK's didnt work. Go figure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online