Garage Door Replacement

dkozloski

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my old garage door. These garage door guys don't make it easy. They all want too much $$! I've read through several manufacturers' installation instructions. This is something I feel very comfortable doing myself. Choosing which manufacturer to go with is another matter. Just finding where to purchase a door directly has been a challenge. I finally found a door installer that would tell me where to get one. There is a large distributor of First United Doors, I can pick up a garage door 6 days a week, for $470. There is Overhead Door, 6 days a week pickup, $435. Then, I can order a CHI door, 2 weeks delivery, $455. Clopay, Wayne Dalton, and Amarr will sell me a garage door, all in the $600-$700 range. Raynor is dealer only, $990 quote. First United has a lifetime warranty. The others have a 15-year warranty. All the same type of door, 25 gauge steel, raised panel, non-insulated, 15X7. I guess it comes down to what is available, how long I want to wait for delivery, and what I want to pay.

Last edited:

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not that hard to do. I did the 3 on my shop by myself they’re 10’ wide x 12’ tall. Have you priced them insulated. The cost isn’t that much, but it makes a difference in both temperature and noise. There’s not much difference between the manufacturers. Go on price and availability.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overhead Door is #1 for a reason! Truthfully, I have a biased opinion because my wife and I collectively have nearly 80 years of service with OHD. Only place I have ever worked. Door installation is not difficult, however it can be dangerous, particularly charging the springs. Not sure if you folks in the UK are required to comply with building codes, however if you are, make certain the door you purchase fulfills all requirements. Windload is a big one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.