fuel tanks

OldIDI

Reaction score
I have a 1993 f350 dually 7.3 idi non turbo. I bought from a guy. He told me when he parked it, it only sat for a year until I bought it. The tanks have diesel in them but not sure how much. How long is diesel good for in tanks anyways? Would you all try to pump tanks out or drop them or just try to see if it runs with what it has in there?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regular diesel lasts for years and years. Biodiesel is another story. If it sits around for year or so, that is bad news.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
If it’s only been a year I would hold off on changing your fuel filter. Run them to 1/2 and fill them up to blend out. When both are empty again refill and change the fuel filter. Now if one year is really 3 years and he used bio-diesel I thin Franklin makes a good point. Pump it out.

As mint mobile suggests always put in fuel additive. The ultra low diesel came out after these were built and is more abrasive so the fuel treatment is needed to extend the pump, IP, and injector life.

Do a search there were some recent threads but Opti-Lube and Standyne both are top choices. Some say bio diesel also lubricates but I would still treat it.

264WSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Real diesel doesn't go bad, but it does have a tendency to collect water. When you pull the full out of the old truck, let it settle in a clear tank (I use old 5 gallon drinking water bottles. After a day or 2 you will be able to see where the fuel ends and water begins.
Blending with known good fuel is a good idea too.