Fuel Tank Selector Valve common issues?

92LongBed

Reaction score
been chasing a fuel line air intrusion and i'm wondering if my FSV should have fuel/water/liquid inside of the motor housing? I blew on all the connectors to ensure that they weren't clogged and they blew out a little fuel but when i shake my FSV its filled with some liquid. Is this normal? hoping its a problem and i can replace it and be done with this dumb part :)

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope
Look up oldbulls tech 101 thread here....

92LongBed

Reaction score
i actually finished the install of my new FSV yesterday, come to find out the old one was moving all my front tank fuel to my rear tank and i had to syphon the entire rear tank to replace the fuel hose to fit the new FSV. which took about 8 hours without a syphon pump bc it was dribbling outta the supply hose from rear tank under my truck into a bin.

got the new FSV installed now my tanks read correctly, i believe they always did but back tank just always read full so i assumed it was broken gauge i was gonna just live with for a while.

today I need to fully bleed the air from my fuel system since fuel lines were left open for about a week waiting on a part to come in. and then have to charge my 2 batteries bc they been sitting in cold weather not being used essentially for a month, been charging here and there to trouble shoot starting, both batteries from 2022 and they die out that quick.. awful. anyway should be able to bleed the air out today and hopefully it will start.

if not i'm running outta ideas.

UPDATE: 1:02pm MY TRUCK STARTS AND RUNS SO NICELY AGAIN, holy **** i am elated. I feel so accomplished, so I went to bleed the system to get this ole bird to crank and i was still getting some long cranks with no turn over but a few burps like it wanted to go so I crawl back under and I'm tracing the lines to the tranny and engine and I notice one of my fuel return lines off the back of the block as it goes down beside the tranny is pretty blown out and had some moisture around it, so i start fumbling around with the clip and the clip slides right off and i know thats a bad sign. i pull off the old hose maybe 14" worth and both ends are dry/heat rotted with cracks around the hose so I slap some new fuel line hose on it with hose clamps on each end and my truck IMMEDIATELY GETS UP AND GOES oh my goodness,

i leave it running for about 5 mins and am checking all the stuff i replaced, and no leaks, except now my fuel filter is leaking a steady drip every second but thats probably user error on my part so ill tend to that and my schrader valve is bubbling after i turn the truck off so i need to replace that, it was screaming the tiniest scream letting air seep out so ill pop a new one in and see what happens, man oh man i am so thankful for this website and the community you all have created.

quick question, where do you get replacement schraeder valves for the 7.3l idi fuel filter housing?

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the new FSV? I need to replace mine one of these days. And then maybe my sending units? And then maybe my tanks? lol

92LongBed

Reaction score
Where did you get the new FSV? I need to replace mine one of these days. And then maybe my sending units? And then maybe my tanks? lol
I got this one, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013FY5KW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

had good enough reviews, i know these parts arent OEM but i dont have 300+ to shell out for a new ford model.

and just an update on the above, my truck sat in my driveway running happy as a clam, drove it 1500 feet and it shut down on me and will not start now. now i'm terrified its any of the fixes i did but still not seeing any leaks except from fuel filter housing but very minimal i'm so frustrated

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

92LongBed

Reaction score
Thanks. It sure does have a lot of good reviews. Mostly for Chevy though. Was it "plug-n-play" with all the connections for you?
no it has a different wiring sequence than straight up unfortunately but i found a thread on here describing the correct way to connect it, had the photos up on my phone while i was under there lol

i believe this is all correct and from the looks of it on my truck i at least got the power right because my gauge reads both tanks differently
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online