fuel stem check valve....remove that junk!

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 99 with 260k miles on it has occasionally had a loud injector (or two) coinciding with "choppy" acceleration. Fuel pressure was spot on under load (measured at the fuel bowl), UVCH good, injector buzz test passed, etc.

Turns out the "idiot proof" check valve in the fuel bowl stem was sticking, causing low fuel flow to the heads. This check valve is meant to prevent running the truck without a fuel filter in place....since I would never do that I removed the check valve and related parts.....this solve the running issues completely.

Just an FYI.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I just don't remember seeing one of the few I've pulled out.
Probably something else for the deadhead design. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
obs does not have, but the reason they are there on the 99+ is because of the dead head fuel system, they do a couple of things one being to help with the starvation of the #8 injector, and the second to prevent the injector pulses from pushing fuel back the the filter housing and destroying the filter.
when I had my 00 with the custom fuel system and return I did remove mine and it did help with fuel delivery
on the SDs the check valve is built in to the fuel line fitting at the head

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
obs does not have, but the reason they are there on the 99+ is because of the dead head fuel system, they do a couple of things one being to help with the starvation of the #8 injector, and the second to prevent the injector pulses from pushing fuel back the the filter housing and destroying the filter.
when I had my 00 with the custom fuel system and return I did remove mine and it did help with fuel delivery
on the SDs the check valve is built in to the fuel line fitting at the head

I'm talking about the check valve in the filter stem, not the ones in each head. This check valve is only there to make sure you can't run the truck without a filter. In my case it was jammed or mostly closed to where it was limiting fuel pressure beyond the filter.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
MY bad some how I read that as fuel system check valve , totally forgot about the one in the filter housing.
I have heard of cases where non motorcraft filters have caused issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online