Fuel Shut Off Solenoid - Clicking but no Fuel? (Shutoff)

OR_Coast_IDI

Reaction score
Hello -

Working on the Ambo this week.

The fuel shutoff solenoid is clicking but I'm getting no fuel. I noticed for the last couple days before doing some other work that I was getting some strange crackling noise from the front of the engine, but I couldn't pinpoint it - I wrote it off as compression noises or pressure noises in the stock filter housing that I just hadn't noticed before.

I got everything back together and when I went to start it - I'm not getting any fuel. I've jumped a hot lead to the FSS and it clicks like its working but no fuel is passing through. (I powered it on and off repeatedly, just in case the contacts were sticky, corroded or having a hard time doing their job)

Can they click but not open the shutoff? Any thoughts or feedback before I pull the top cover off?

As far as the cause, I'm sure I've had the key left on for longer than it should have been many times while working through issues - I didn't really know there was an issue with this - I do now!

________________________________________________________________________________

Notes regarding the other work done:

I have just installed a remote filter, fuel pump and direct IP feed line fitting. Write-up on this when everything is running and I have the time. Pics attached.

View media item 826View media item 825
I know there is no fuel passing through because with the pump on and pressured up, nothing is passing through the IP. Crack open the line anywhere on the pressure side - right up to the IP feed line fitting and the pump, pumps away and there's fuel spraying all over, but tighten it all down and the pump builds it's pressure and cycles off (this is how the Walbro FRB pumps operate, they are demand sensing) but open up the return line and there's nothing passing through the IP.

Thanks in advance.

If anyone has good links/videos on replacing the FSS and top cover, I'd appreciate them:

This was the best video I could find:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are getting a solid click when energizing the shutoff solenoid and you are getting good lift pump pressure/flow, its most likely your metering valve inside the ip is sticking.

OR_Coast_IDI

Reaction score
Thanks for the thought on that Philip1.

Would a sticky metering valve prevent 100% of fuel from flowing through the IP even through the “unneeded fuel return“?

Any suggestions for unsticking the metering valve?

I leaned towards the FSS based on long key on times, hearing crackling noises from that area and no issues prior to this period of working on it - with the longer key on times...

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand the metering valve controls the fuel entering the case of the ip which in turn limits the return flow. To unstuck the metering valve you will want to clean the ip spotless then pull the top cap. Then very gently move the metering valve back and forth until it moves freely. After this you will want to do a heavy dose of diesel injector cleaner.
You must be registered for see images attach