Fuel lines on a E350 cut-away

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Haven't been on for awhile as I've been ignoring this rig and hoping it would somehow fix itself. [emoji16]

So, I have a bad/ leaking fuel pump and I'm going w/ an electric. I have the parts needed.
Now the question, when I look at the lines coming from the tank there are three, and they go into a rubber piece that runs the frame. Two are the same size and one is larger. I'm guessing the larger one is the main fuel line and the other two are return and ?
How do I get them out of the rubber piece? It looks like the top two (smaller lines) maybe press into it from the top? I can't see how to get to the bigger line which is under them.

This looking more complicated than I imagined and I haven't even gotten to the part where I have to take out the mech pump from a van. [emoji3064]

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
With it having been close to 20 years since I was underneath a van with an IDI, just at a guess, I'd think that one of those smaller lines may be a vent line. Can you trace them to see if I have any idea what I'm talking about? As for the rubber piece, I can't picture it at all. Could you post a picture for us?

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Can do. I'll crawl under there in a bit and see what kind of pics I can get.
Its always a challenge trying to get info that's van specific, and I'm not on enough to have figured out who the other van owners are. Why just have what everyone else has, right?! [emoji16]

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Ok got some pics,
- the first one is where the lines come from the tank
- then the rubber piece that runs the frame. I see now that the lines seem to be pressed down into a groove. I also see a bunch of east coast rust on the hard line and would be nervous prying them out.
- now the exciting part. Where the lines come out of the rubber piece at the tranny cross member the bigger line goes from hard line to rubber hose for a ways. Would this area be too far forward for the electric pump??
You must be registered for see images attach

gandalf

Reaction score
One of the three lines coming out from above the tank should be the air vent for the tank. On my truck it's clipped to the cross-member right in front of the tank, and continues a bit after that. I think it has something on the end.

Two pictures.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Gandalf - going from your pics I'm thinking that the bigger of the lines under my rig is NOT the fuel line because it doesn't have the quick release fittings. Seems like those are on both the fuel & return lines.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm certainly not familiar with that rubber piece in your pictures. I can see why I didn't know what you were talking about. Maybe that's a van only thing?

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
So is that correct, the fuel & return lines are the ones w/ the QR connections?

And what about having the pump up near the tranny crossmember, is that too far from the tank?

gandalf

Reaction score
Yes, the fuel lines, both to the engine and return, have the release lock to hold them to the tank. When the line is properly onto the metal section coming from the tank (maybe as much as 4 inches), the locking clip snaps in easily. It's even possible to remove it without breaking it, though that is often a matter of luck. The vent line is clearly shown in the picture below. It's attached to the white disk in the middle of the upper section of the tank. It clips to the cross-member right in front of the rear tank before continuing onward. The clips locking the fuel line in place are from Dorman, part number in the picture. The airline baggage tags in the picture are purely for my own convenience.

EDIT: I forgot your second question. Some people place the electric pump in the engine bay, up close to the fuel filter. I, personally, prefer the frame rail because most of these pumps push fuel rather than pull it, suck it. It they will suck fuel up to the fuel filter, then toward the front of the frame rail is certainly workable.

Below will be 2 pictures, if I can find the second.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
I'll definitely have to finish tracking the lines to see why all three run to the front. As well as figuring out which of the other two is the engine bound one.

Glad to know that putting the pump close to the front is an option.