Fuel line return leaks 1992 ID Banks TurboI need it running by Friday night (Saturday morning trip)

Richard Clasby

Reaction score
Hi All,
I installed reman injectors, glow plugs, glow plug controller and return lines on my 1992 F250 with a Banks Turbo. I got everything on except the fuel return lines that go back out under the Banks Turbo. Now I have a leak in the connection to those lines. Not a leak...a gusher! I can't seem to reach the under the turbo to attache new return lines. Any suggestions? Do I need to pull the Turbo...I hope not.
Is there a way to just plug up the lines or not use them at all? I need the truck for a trip on Saturday morning.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Don't plug your return lines and not use them. You won't make it very far. They are used to drain all of your unused fuel to the fuel tank. If you plug off these lines, you will have a lot bigger leak in a hurry! You shouldn't need to pull the turbo. you may have to pull your injector lines back off, remove the return lines as a set, replace the lines, and then reinstall them as a set.

Richard Clasby

Reaction score
Do you have a Banks on your rig? I would love to avoid pulling it but I can't see how to get to the attachments.

Richard Clasby

Reaction score
I was thinking of trying to drop the return line down the side of the engine then attach it to the low pressure return line under the truck.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
No. Unfortunatly right now mine is N/A. Actually, it's without an engine too. It's down to just the bare block, waiting on cam bearings to arrive so I can take it to get the cylinders honed. Eventually, it will have a first gen Banks on it. What attachments are you having trouble getting to? I wouldn't recommend doing that with your return lines. I'd think that engine vibration would rub a hole in the return lines fairly quickly.

Richard Clasby

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I'll go pull the injector lines and return lines now and see if I can get to the hard line attachment. That's what I should see...right? A hard line under the turbo?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There should be no hard line underneath the turbo. In a N/A application, all that runs across the back of the engine between the passenger's side and the hard line on the driver's side is a rubber line. It's the same size as the rest of your return lines that attach to the return caps. This line should be rerouted away from underneath the turbo, but it's sometimes left there.

Richard Clasby

Reaction score
The attachment is the hidden under the turbo. The soft return line from #7 is old and I tried to simply use it and reattach it to but it crumbled. I can attach it to #7 easily but I can not reach or see where it attached under the turbo.
I'll need to do the same with #8 to the the attaching point under the turbo but that one is not leaking so not urgent.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
For #8, you may have to disconnect the air intake into the turbo, but not the turbo itself. #7 is the side that I said that you may have to pull several of the return lines off as a set. Disconnect the return line from the hard attachment point on the driver's side and you can pull it all out from underneath the turbo that way. No, the return line from #7 runs to a hard attachment point . #8 should attach to the other side of that same point. If you remove the air intake to the turbo, you'll be able to see it. This is the way that the factory did it. Of course if someone rigged up a nightmare for you, then I can't tell what you have.

gandalf

Reaction score
Just in case it might help you, I'll toss in a picture of that hard point where the return lines meet coming from #7 and #8. The hard connector is to the left in the picture, with two red line clamps. You can see the rubber line going away and down back to the fuel tank. On the right is the injector for #8. The return line from #7 loops downward as it comes across behind the engine.

These pictures are from my '92 NA engine. I can't think that they changed these lines too much when they put the turbo on.
You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the stickie on return line routing could be of service to you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online