Fuel life?

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have month old fuel with stanedyne diesel fuel treatment in both tanks should i put something else in to help keep it for another month? I have not had issues with 2 month old fuel before but it may or may not be a little foul this go around.
I plan on running atf or hotshot fuel cleaner through the fuel filter to the pump and let i soak for 24 hours to help with sticking ip parts but i cant drain my fuel tanks due to time and where to put said fuel. The tanks are 3/4 full.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't think you should have trouble unless it's bio. Then who knows? Of course it wouldn't hurt to add something if you want to. I just don't think it's necessary.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only issue I have heard about with diesel sitting a long time is algae. I don't know what conditions it takes to get an algae problem but they are fairly rare.
Also water tends to mess with oil over time but the stanadyne stuff should absorb whatever is in there anyway.

Outside of that even 10 year old diesel is just fine and dandy to use.

smithman

Reaction score
I used 50 gallons of unpreserved diesel that was 2.5 years old, in full tanks, after doing body work. No issues whatsoever that I saw.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some diesel stored that's about 3 years old and I'm just starting to use it to rotate it for fresher and no issues here

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I occasionally reclaim fuel from old furnace tanks and old trucks. If it looks ok (sighted in a jerry can) in the tank it goes... usually on half a tank of recent fuel... with some additive (Power Service currently). No issues to date.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I bought my truck non-running in 2009, after it had sat for 10+ years. After rebuilding the engine, it fired right up on the fuel in its tanks and ran fine.