Fuel in valve cover

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 6.0
Just did all injectors and glow plugs.
Worked air out of high pressure oil rail with 12 0-60 wot runs as per for TSB. now, 2 weeks later it is dying intermittently and it just took 4 bouts of serious cranking to start. ( very similar to trying to start it right after injectors.)

Well now ford wants to charge me 2000 to replace the ficm( tester goo month ago) and replace te dummy plugs in the HPO rail. Well the plugs were just replaced and I just pulled ten out again and they are fine.

I also drove the truck today and it dies afte 10 minutes of driving like it does and was long crank and would restart. Drained the batts. We ended up having to pull start it and I started after the first clutch pop. It then idle without issue for the next 1.5 hrs. No issues.

My problem is I put my scanner on and the icp is within spec (high 500s psi) at idle and round .80v. And when i rev i rises accordingly. The FICM is also working as well. I don't believe it's bad but I can't figure what's goings on.

I did just pull that HPO rail again and retighten the injectors and they all needed tightening. Not much but they were Torqued properly.

When pulling that Valve cover it wreaked of fuel. So much so that removing that HPO rail made my eyes burn. And te truck does seem to be running rich.

I'm at my wits end. Please help!!

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm stumped. Actual fuel in valve cover? Or just stink like fuel in valve cover? Is your oil level growing?

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No just overpowering smell. It's caused us to retighten the injectors and they were not loose, but not torqued to spec. That is, they needed one to two more turns but ey weren't physically loose.
It's truck truly is a conundrum!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd find a loaner FICM, plug it in and see.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I'm kinda leaning towards Mike.
Wondering if a solder joint has cracked on the FICM inverter board and going down the road is jarring it loose. I'd be curious to see what the FICM voltages are when it's in spaz mode.

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I pulled every injector and did find one oring that was a little suspect. I resealed it. Now the truck is running again. We did also change the HPOP standpipes along with changing the dummy plugs (AGAIN). So well see what happens. I'll keep y'all posted

sootman73

Reaction score
Like Ron said take your scanner and monitor the FICM Voltage you should see no less than 46 volts. monitor before starting cold, and through warm-up, and on drive.

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Truck is running like a top. But that's what it did for a week last time too. My FICM voltage is varying from 45-48 through all stages. The only time it dipping below 45 is when I tried to start it cold and the HPOP was come rely purged yet so I had to crank on it for 20-30 sec or so. That's the only time my FICM dipped. Other than that the truck is running strong. My icp pressure was 580 at idle with desired pressure at 579.8. Don't know how to make anymore sure that its fixed than I have.
The fact that ford said my FICM is bad is still in the back of my mind but I have done every test I can think of and it's still in spec. I think.
Please pkey me know if you have any other input

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online