Fuel heater O-ring replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I had to replace this part on My fuel filter housing last week and thought maybe if I do this very detailed with lots of pictures Mel feel a little itch and let Me make it into the archives for once :D.

So here it goes.
First of all the seal part # is 1811053C1, this is a IH part number, I ordered mine through My local IH dealer and bought 3 of this rings just in case they ever stop making them. They are not cheap at all, I paid $20 for all 3.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 634
Reactions: Clb

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Here in the first pic you see the filter head with the old leaky O-ring, we will be taking this apart with a 1 1/4" wrench, this thing is tight and I thought I was breaking something again :rolleyes: but it has thread locker of some kind and it turns just like any other bolt, however when You do be careful to not cut the little plastic clips that hold the heating element to the housing, which in the pic look like plastic pins.

on edit: For some reason I can't get the 3rd pic to show first but look at the 3rd pic to see the top of the filter head

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 229
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 934
Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Once the center piece comes off you'll be able to pull the heat element which comes all in one piece. As you can see I broke one of the plastic clips with the wrench :idiot:.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 166

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Here is the heat element once it comes off and of course the 19 year old O-ring is ready to retire.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 195

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Now it is just a matter of driving the new O-ring in place, for this have Your choice of lubricant handy. I know Mel likes vaseline so I thought opportune to include it.
When installing the element with the new o-ring it will just press in but there is no pop, the housing is shaped like a cone and the pressure from the fuel filter fitting is what holds the element in place enough to let the o-ring seal.
When I put the fittings back I used high pressure sealer, I use to put teflon tape on My brass fittings until I learned the diesel fuel will eat it and this can find its way inside the injection pump.
Well there You have it, now it ready to go back in the truck and last Me another 19 years. Hope this helps somebody.

You must be registered for see images attach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88