Fuel gelling temperature

nmu1974

Reaction score
What is the temperature that we can expect gelling with standard pump diesel?

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
I've always guesstimated that around 25 degrees is when stuff starts acting up..... lower you go the worse it gets. Scientifically 32 degrees is when its supposed to start freezing. but the waxing takes just a tad lower to start.

Its been zero and a little below around here lately for lows..... been seeing some trucks with gelled filters on the side of the road lately.... mostly southern runners.

BBBxcursion

Reaction score
It's been about 12 degrees out here and I've been using Stanadyne since I got my X about 2 years ago. I've never had a gelling problem :Sly

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#2 will gel (the parafin wax in diesel begins to solidify) between 10 and 15 F.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Oficially, it's not supposed to, but cruddy southern fuel we get around here from can begin to gel at around 35 deg f. if you live up north the stuff you get at the pumps is alot better in the winter.

ak800x

Reaction score
Marvel mystery oil "The fix all in a red jug"

I have been adding Marvel mystery oilto my 95 with 245k now and it starts at below -10 as long as plug it in of course. I add one jug per fill and all is fine. You can see a slight blue in the exhuast when warming up but thats it. Probably lubes the injectorpump and injectors too! If it is colder then Seafoam in the can will work great.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#2 will gel (the parafin wax in diesel begins to solidify) between 10 and 15 F.

That is Correct. cloud point for #2 diesel in the winter is +10F MAX

cloud point for winter blend in the coldest northern states during certain times of the year is -15F Max (blended with kerosene as additives can't usually get this low by themselves in a cost effective manner and it is done with ultra low sulfer kerosene now)

#1 diesel has a cloud point of -25F max

DFA (diesel fuel arctic) has a cloud point of -51F same as most jet fuels and I beleive straight kerosene is around here too, cant find my disc with the specs on kero right now.

Remember fuel is blended for the region you are in so if you top off in Texas to save money going north with straight #2 and drive to somewhere cold up north with temps in the teens you need to blend or put an additive in or pay for the roadside service when you gel up on the side of the road.

Fred Glick

Reaction score
fuel gelling temps

Here in northern Iowa we have seen fuel flowability problems in the ULSD at temps as high as 18 degrees. With bio fuel it can be higher at B10 or more. There is a company here in Iowa that makes a great anti gel. Look at www.cenpecosales.com for info

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DFA (diesel fuel arctic) has a cloud point of -51F same as most jet fuels and I beleive straight kerosene is around here too, cant find my disc with the specs on kero right now.

Keep in mind that both of these fuels are very very low on lubricity, and it is not recommended to run either in our trucks straight.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I have been adding Marvel mystery oilto my 95 with 245k now and it starts at below -10 as long as plug it in of course. I add one jug per fill and all is fine. You can see a slight blue in the exhuast when warming up but thats it. Probably lubes the injectorpump and injectors too! If it is colder then Seafoam in the can will work great.

Marvel Mystery Oil is crimson red. Off road diesel is crimson red. Having your tank dipped by highway patrol to find red fuel is a nightmare. Why risk trouble and a large fine? cookoo

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel Mystery Oil is crimson red. Off road diesel is crimson red. Having your tank dipped by highway patrol to find red fuel is a nightmare. Why risk trouble and a large fine? cookoo
Risk? Its a legal product sold over the counter at all truck stops and large retailers. There is nothing illegal about running Marvel in your tank. Take 2.5 gallons of fuel and put an ounce of Marvel in it (that is equivellant to 8 ounces in 20 gallons) and tell me what color the fuel is. ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to keep a empty gallon can of Marvel in the bed of the truck anytime the tanks have seen red diesel. that was until I found out they can do a chem test on the dipped feul to check for the additives. Marvel can't mimick that part.-cuss

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I was at the Mid America truck show in St Louis, MO. The Kentucky and Indiana state police had a booth set up to educate drivers on dyed fuel as well as many samples of red and blue dyed fuels, dilluted mixes and mixes with additives, tranny fluid etc.....

Now for the quick and dirty version.....The troopers stated that if the fuel had a hint of red or blue dye in it you were going to get one of those high dollar tickets/fines and you would have the responsibility to prove it in court that it was an additive......The troopers basicly carry just a capillary tube, gloves and a color chart to refference if it looks questionable.

Things may have changed as to what the troopers carry these days but testing to see exactly what additional additives were added to the fuel is going to get much further involved than I ever got into testing fuels...Basicly doing forensic testing at this point...Not cheap.

If you want to play with dyed products in your fuel and you get popped be ready to pay up to the court, lab and lawyers, and if you get caught don't ***** about it because you know what you are doing.

Personnaly I wouldn't put any of the extra crap in my tank but power service or stanadyne if I did use an additive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88