Fuel Filter Change

BLACKBIRD_DMAX

Reaction score
Well I was dumb enough to change my fuel filter today. I have changed my share of filters and this was the worst. I filled the filter with diesel like the pictograms showed and still got air in the lines. It took forever to get the truck to start. My dad laughed at me! His PSD primes on it's own. Will an auxiliary lift pump like the one from Kennedy do any good? I never want to have that much fun in one afternoon again! cookoo

Last edited:

ChevysRus

Reaction score
It's not that bad, was this your first time LOL

You have to get the "O" ring on right and screw it on tight. Did you loosen the bleed screw until you saw fuel coming out with no bubbles? Tighten the screw and then start....should hit the first time and never burp!

Lonewolf867

Reaction score
If you prime the filter good with the pump there shouldn't be an issue.
The first time I changed mine I had the same problem. Now I just loosen the bleed screw and pump it untill i get a little from the screw. Starts right up with no problems.

Mike

HeartbeatHauler

Reaction score
I have a secondary filter pre-OEM located on the frame rail right in front of the fuel cooler, is priming gonna work for me or will I need a an extra pump (lift pump)?
JP

BuckeyeQuickey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill tell you what works good for me and that is to pre fill the new fuel filter with fresh fuel before I screw it back on, but like some have said on here as long as you open the bleed screw and pump the top primer bulb you should have no trouble starting you rig rite up.

HeartbeatHauler

Reaction score
BuckeyeQuickey said:
Ill tell you what works good for me and that is to pre fill the new fuel filter with fresh fuel before I screw it back on, but like some have said on here as long as you open the bleed screw and pump the top primer bulb you should have no trouble starting you rig rite up.

Buckeye, got your PM, but apparently you can't recieve them.....So, I haven't had any issues with the secondary filter kit. I will be changing the filters in another 1500 miles which will put about 15K on the secondary kit filter and 11K on the OEM. I'm gonna cut them open and see what they look like. I plan to continue changing both filters every 10K in the future. I thought I might have a problem during winter since I didn't get a heater for the secondary kit, but I haven't had any problems. I don't know if that is because it hasn't gotten cold enough or the Stanadyne is doing it's job.
JP

jimblbz

jimblbz
Reaction score
Well, I went to this thread to see if there were any horror stories about this before I changed mine. I have a 2006 LBz and had filter in hand so I did as most reccommended. I filled the new filter with fuel. Primed the fuel line with the plunger, holding down the schrader depresser on what is now a A/C type fitting which is bigger than a r134a adapter on the fuel line. There is no bleed screw. 1 or 2 pumps and I had fuel. the truck started right up with no problems. 15minute job....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01