Fuel filler neck woes need ideas

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hey guys. I welded up a very heavy duty steel flatbed on my 94 idi f250 which required a modified filler neck. Problem is, I am not able to get the filler neck to the cap on the side of the bed without having the fill tube at a near flat angle (maybe 5 degrees at best). This makes it a royal PITA to fill the tank, if I hold the lever down all the way, it back fills almost immediately and overflows. I am running on my side tank only as my rear tank was rotted out and my FSV was not functioning.

Does anyone have any ideas on a filler neck design? I was thinking of welding up a small (2ish Gallons) pre-fill tank under the bed to fill with fuel before it flows into the 18gal tank. Then I could run a very short metal pipe with the cap on it vertically. I am just not sure if that would make it any easier to fill the system.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use steel, with rubber connectors.
the inner tube is a batch to squeak through, but can be done.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've thought of making mine point up from the bed and having a fuel door. I guess be real inconvenient if had a load on top of it. Lol
But would for sure help with fuelling.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ISPKI

Reaction score
I was thinking of running it through the driver side corner of the deck and have a steel door covering it with the fill cap recessed inside. It would definitely be an issue with a load on it but i feel it would be better than what ive been putting up with for over a year now.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bring a chunk of inclined wood used to level rvs while parking before filling up set it down pull onto it and then your fill neck will have enough angle to flow lol did this for a while before I figured out why my tank wouldn't fill lol

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could ya route it up into a toolbox?

ISPKI

Reaction score
Well its a log truck so the toolbox is going on the roof on top of a shelf coming off the top of my back arch. What I could do though, is route the filler neck up into the arch. Its 4x3" rectangular tubing

ISPKI

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Here is the start of the back rack that I welded on today. I was thinking I could route the fuel hose inside of this and have an opening about 1 ft above the bed.

Reactions: Clb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep the 90* bends to an ABSOLUTE minimum.
Trust me,do not ask how I know.... armor the chaseway,
It looks like the cap will be inside of the edge of the bed where it will be safe from gettin hung up on brush,,,?yes?

ISPKI

Reaction score
That is correct, that was my plan and after harvesting about 13 cords this year, it has proven effective, except for the fact that its a royal ass pain to fill the tank. Not sure how im going to get a pipe into the 2x4 arch beam without pulling a magic trick.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Not yet, still welding them. Doing 1in bar stock cage, ~3ft tall, hinged at the bed with locking pins, linked with chain across the top. Going to be able to pull 1 pin and drop the entire side.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about building a box on the outside of your head rack for the filler neck and just leaving a relief in the side wall? I'm saying where you left space. I see the head rack is in a little bit from the side.