Fuel Bowl Drain Valve Tube.....

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'02 F-350 7.3....I'm changing my fuel bowl filter. In the past, I've just opened the yellow drain valve in the back of the bowl, and let it drain out.....what a mess THAT is.....so, I'd like to extend the drain tube to below the engine. But, I can't seem to find where it ends. Does anyone have a diagram or pictures? Thanks.

Last edited:

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.....for those who are considering the drain tube extension, here's a diagram....
You must be registered for see images attach

...the drain tube in question is part #22.....if International would have extended that tube about 12", there'd be no problem....as it stands, when draining, the fuel trickles all over everything underneath....what a mess.....

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If International would have been really smart, they would have put that leak prone fuel bowl someplace a lot easier to work on, especially on the OBS trucks where it’s right on top of the mechanical pump.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: why not just slowly unscrew the filter housing and carefully mop up whatever comes out as you pull the filter out with the lid? That way you don’t use the drain valve at all. If you want to clean out the bowl, use a siphon or turkey baster to remove some or all of the fuel in the bowl.

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: why not just slowly unscrew the filter housing and carefully mop up whatever comes out as you pull the filter out with the lid? That way you don’t use the drain valve at all. If you want to clean out the bowl, use a siphon or turkey baster to remove some or all of the fuel in the bowl.

That's a great idea, goodstuff.....an added plus is that I've read that those valves are notorious for leaking over time...so if they're not being used, they're probably less likely to leak....thanks...:Thumbs Up

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
passanger side down by the frame crossover

Thanks, Double-S....I tried looking up there, but my F-350 has the dual alternator set up(factory). That extra alternator down below really impairs the view. I can't see much without taking some components off....

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This. I've never used the fuel bowl drain since I replaced all the o-rings on both trucks due to leaks. The old filter absorbs enough fuel so that the new filter goes in without spillage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88