Fuel and oil addatives

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys you all have had a bunch of good info so far now I have another question
What if any addatives are you using for fuel and oil on your 6.0 ?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sold my 6.0 recently, but I never used anything in the oil. Use a good oil to begin with and you will not need anything else. I used a lubricant additive in the diesel fuel. Power Service in the White bottle. Great stuff.

Last edited:

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Archoil 9100 in the oil and 6200 in the fuel. I can't say for sure if it does anything, but I haven't had any problems yet. For what I spent on the motor I consider it cheap insurance.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Archoil 9100 in the oil and 6200 in the fuel. I can't say for sure if it does anything, but I haven't had any problems yet. For what I spent on the motor I consider it cheap insurance.
That's all I'm after it's been a few years since a 6.0 has graced my drive and in my old one I never ran anything just cheep oil and fuel and had a few problems with it just don't want to make the same mistake but I hear good things about that hotshots secret additives

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never tried Hotshots but I think it's main claim is the same as Archoil, a stiction eliminator. That's the bane of 6.0 injectors, so whatever you use for it can't hurt.

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hot shots stiction eliminator is supposably made for HEUI injections systems, I hear it’s pretty good stuff.

There’s videos on the lubetube you can look up about it, one of a 6.0 that’s clapped out and just from adding the stiction eliminator It made her run a whole lot better :drunk:

Worth a try?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I've used Rev-X and it did clear up the slight stiction issue I had.

I use Chevron Delo 5w-40 Full Synthetic (whatever the current "flavor" due to emissions on the shelf at Wally World)

MOTORCRAFT or INTERNATIONAL filters..... NOTHING ELSE!!!!!

Power Service White Bottle in the winter. I have also used the Silver Bottle and have some Howes out in the garage....

My opinion, the best way to keep a 6.0 reliable, the above maintenance stuff, EGR Delete (if you can due to local checks) and DO NOT TURN IT UP!!!! Mine is 100% stock, except the EGR Delete, and the only thing that has been replaced is the water pump. I've had issues with alternators, which in turn killed a FICM (not the FICM's, bad replacement alternators fault) and now at ~172,000 miles, I've had my first injector issue. Everything else that "must be replaced on a 6.0" is still what it came on it when it left Brookville Road (The plant that made all the IH/Ford/Navistar 6.9/7.3IDI. 7.3/6.0/6.4PSD is about 15 miles from my house, I drive by it every day). Turbo, Head Gaskets/Bolts etc. I'm also a "horrible 6.0 owner". I don't have a monitor, or even any extra gauges (yes I do understand the benefit of them). I just do the maintenance when it's due, with good quality stuff, haven't turned it up, and don't drive it like it a racecar, or used it like it's a locomotive. I treat it well, and it does so in return. We are a Ford Family, have always been, and will always be. My latest Daily Driver is an 11 F-150. I would buy another 6.0 without a doubt, but I also understand at this point and the age they are, that something could go wrong. I was lucky that my Excursion, was owned by an older couple, and all the maintenance was done to the letter (I have the documentation), and it has always been stock...

Sorry for the long post, but someone just getting into a 6.0 from the older engines does need good information. I've had mine going on 12 years......

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used Rev-X and it did clear up the slight stiction issue I had.

I use Chevron Delo 5w-40 Full Synthetic (whatever the current "flavor" due to emissions on the shelf at Wally World)

MOTORCRAFT or INTERNATIONAL filters..... NOTHING ELSE!!!!!

Power Service White Bottle in the winter. I have also used the Silver Bottle and have some Howes out in the garage....

My opinion, the best way to keep a 6.0 reliable, the above maintenance stuff, EGR Delete (if you can due to local checks) and DO NOT TURN IT UP!!!! Mine is 100% stock, except the EGR Delete, and the only thing that has been replaced is the water pump. I've had issues with alternators, which in turn killed a FICM (not the FICM's, bad replacement alternators fault) and now at ~172,000 miles, I've had my first injector issue. Everything else that "must be replaced on a 6.0" is still what it came on it when it left Brookville Road (The plant that made all the IH/Ford/Navistar 6.9/7.3IDI. 7.3/6.0/6.4PSD is about 15 miles from my house, I drive by it every day). Turbo, Head Gaskets/Bolts etc. I'm also a "horrible 6.0 owner". I don't have a monitor, or even any extra gauges (yes I do understand the benefit of them). I just do the maintenance when it's due, with good quality stuff, haven't turned it up, and don't drive it like it a racecar, or used it like it's a locomotive. I treat it well, and it does so in return. We are a Ford Family, have always been, and will always be. My latest Daily Driver is an 11 F-150. I would buy another 6.0 without a doubt, but I also understand at this point and the age they are, that something could go wrong. I was lucky that my Excursion, was owned by an older couple, and all the maintenance was done to the letter (I have the documentation), and it has always been stock...

Sorry for the long post, but someone just getting into a 6.0 from the older engines does need good information. I've had mine going on 12 years......
Thanks that's what I wanted to hear I just didn't know of there were any new secrets out there when I had my last one I ran cheap crap all around and it was a good truck but yes kept having to fix it all the time also I plan to keep this bone stock and have disconnected the egr plug bit coming up here soon on an oil change I wanted to be positive I want to keep this magnificent machine running great for the family trip next month

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also wat are stiction symptoms

Rough idle, or a slight miss when cold. Slightly down on power when cold, possibly even white or blue smoke. When I say cold, I mean the engine has not be recently run, not air temperature. Mine would be a bit down on power, but as soon as there was a bit of heat in the heads, it would clear up, like within a block or three.

Best example I can give is an IDI with a bad glow plug. That one cylinder is sluggish to fire, but it clears up as heat in the head builds....

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Living in the colder areas the power service in the white bottle is always a great idea in the winter. Don’t trust that the fuel is blended in the winter.
As snickolas said, leaving it stock really helps along with proper maintenance.
Dieselfiltersonline.com is your best place to get your filters. Best price and fast delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk