Fuel additive

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what I can add to my fuel to help lubricate the injection pump. I usually add about 1 oz 2 stroke oil per gallon in my Powerstroke and I have heard that automatic trans fluid works well in an IDI to help the injection pump. What are you folks using in yours.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about to buy the Opti Lube XL which I’ve heard good things about. There was a thread posted where someone linked a wear test that someone did using all sorts of different additives and Opti Lube was one of the better ones. The best was bio diesel actually. Most people don’t have access to biodiesel though.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I am about to buy the Opti Lube XL which I’ve heard good things about. There was a thread posted where someone linked a wear test that someone did using all sorts of different additives and Opti Lube was one of the better ones. The best was bio diesel actually. Most people don’t have access to biodiesel though.

I keep meaning to get some of that but haven't yet. I run about twice the dose of Power Service products instead since I can easily get it at stores. O'Reilly has the larger white winter bottle on sale for $14 right now with 2X points.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your fuel is "up to 5% bio-diesel" like it is everywhere around here, that's all the lube you need. Bio-D has better lubricity than anything else in every test I've ever seen. It doesn't have any other good property that I'm aware of, but something to be aware of for lubricity. (Doesn't help anti-gel or raise cetane or clean better or cost less, etc)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If your fuel is "up to 5% bio-diesel" like it is everywhere around here, that's all the lube you need.

Problem is the "up to" part. It could be 5%, it could be 0%. Some states mandate a minimum bio blend (often farming states) but the ones that say "up to" must not since that's so vague.

I have often seen B20 stickers on pumps but I don't always pay attention since I just go to the station where I can get it cheapest most of the time. That's probably the states with the mandatory minimum since that's saying "20%" not "up to 20%".

Last edited:

Mattc2066

Reaction score
I use hotshot secret. This is my first IDI but I have used it in cummins and duramax with good results.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stanadyne performance formula - I've been using it for years. It disperses water rather than allowing water to form in the filter bowl, lubricates the pump & injector.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hotshot secret is king in the diesel world I run their fleet oil, EDT fuel additive and occasionally clean the motor out with their stitction eliminator (cleans and reduces friction where the oil goes)

Reactions: Clb

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used two stroke oil for years. One quart to a tank full of fuel. I recently switched to Opti lube XL.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw
The additive rating mentioned is YEARS OLD...
Like 10?
I try and mix it up hoping to find different goodies in any one bottle to do different work.

diesel fumes

Reaction score
we add either 1 gal of atf or equipment hydraulic fluid per tank; we have alot of oil around to choose from because we run a lot of heavy equipment.

arizhntr

Reaction score
About a half quart of ATF and a generous splash of Power Service per tank full, I fill up before it hits a quarter tank. Been doing that ever since ULSD was all you could buy.

First 1/2 tank full of ULSD took out the shaft seals on my pump. No issues since I started treating the fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01