Front End Squeeling

Discussion in 'Drivetrain & Suspensions' started by steelheadguy, Mar 20, 2016.

1. steelheadguy

steelheadguy Registered Idiot Supporting Member

I have a new to me 86 F350 6.9. It is my first diesel, and also first 4x4. Ive just recently started driving the truck. Today there is a horrible squeeling noise at slow speeds, which turns into a high pitch noise at high speeds. The noise isn't always there.

There are a couple of things that may have lead up to this.

I got the truck stuck in a very deep mud hole. So deep I almost couldnt open the doors and had to have a bulldozer pull me out. Im sure mud got everywhere and inside everywhere.

I also drove the truck about 200 miles with the hubs locked. Im new to 4x4, is this bad? At 85 I smelled something that smelled like fireworks and finally pulled over to manually unlock the hubs. Did I make the smell up? or could something be burning from the locked hubs?

Today I also filled my bed with plywood, 2x4s and quick crete, the first heavy load Ive put in the truck. I hauled the load about 50 miles.

At first I thought it was the front brakes completely worn, because the sound stops if I hit the brakes even if I just lightly touch the brakes. On the contrary, steering affects the noise.

I know nothing about hubs or U joints. At first glance I couldnt even tell what kind of brakes the front has. Are they really drums?
    Sorry for being a noob!:hail

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Fronts are disc.
    Pull the tires and start investigating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

3. steelheadguy

Yea I dont know if Ill be able to until I get the other my wheels back on my other truck.
    Edit: Ill check to see if it is the pads. If it is... Ill probably need new rotors after today.

Also.... Im very new to trucks and suspension. When I was parked today, I parked with the wheels turned all the way right. The wheels seemed to be leaning out. Is this normal?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  4. Clb

Clb Another old truck Supporting Member

The first thing I'd do is pressure wash the heck outta it.
    Pull the fr wheels and wash some more.
    The hub damage ( if any) is done , I dought there is much to do there.
    Clean and lube the , steering gear, calipers and rotors, shift linkages, radiator, drivelines.
    The thing is basicly made for this stuff , but mud truck guys do seal stuff up beter.
    Hot / baking mud has a special smell, look at the headers and pipes for baked on mud( may be the smell).

5. steelheadguy

wtf the throttle cable snapped today

6. Clb

Clb Another old truck Supporting Member

Time to go fishing' fresh mountian rains here recentley.