Front disc brakes not working and strange knock

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, been a while since i have been here but i have a problem that has been ongoing for a while. 1991 Ford F350 crew cab dually. 7.3 IDI, automatic 165,000 miles
I have replaced everything NEW, not rebuilt, vacuum pump, front rotors, calipers, master cylinder and brake booster (as a set) and all rubber hoses. The entire brake system has been flushed out and bled several times. The fronts will lock up if i mash the pedal really hard in a panic situation.
The rear has had new shoes put in about every 3 to 4,000 miles since they appear to be the only ones working.
I have always had a soft pedal, even swapped out NEW master cylinder 3 times, yes the rod gap is correct. rear ABS has been bypassed. rears work great except having to adjust them up 3 or 4 clicks every 2 or 3,000 miles. (normal for a Ford.)
Why cant i get the front brakes to work? proportioning valve?? I have ran out of ideas. In march i will have to pull a 20 ft trailer through the colorado mountains, the truck is 10,500 lbs empty and the trailer is 3,000 lbs empty, I definetly need good brakes before then.

My knock to me sound like a lifter, it comes and goes and hardly ever knocks past 1200 rpm, only at idle.
Is this common in these engines? it isnt injectors, they are brand new from Conestoga.They all react the same when cracked open at idle and at 1200 rpm. There isnt any air in the system, it sat for 4 months and started right up without using glow plugs. I have tried to listen with a stethescope to trace it down, it just sounds loud like a rod.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help with the knock, but those brakes sound pretty normal to me. If you can get the fronts to lock up, then they should be working as well as they're going to. The vacuum brakes on these trucks are just really bad, the only cure for that I know is the hydroboost swap.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How was the rabs deleted? I bet that’s your issue.

These engines are pretty noisy, you may try running a heavy dose of marvel mystery oil and changing the oil every 3000 miles for awhile.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would second the notion that the RABS bypass is suspect. I too have replaced every bit of my brake system, except for the RABS valve, and still only have OK braking. If you roll heavy frequently then the hydroboost swap would be the way to go. As I roughly recall, vac brakes max out around 900-1000psi while hydroboost can hit 2000psi

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online