Front axle

tomkilby

Reaction score
I am replacing rotors and calipers on a 98 dodge 2500 4x4, pulled the bearing hub and the axle shaft came with it. Was not planning on removing axle shaft for fear of disturbing oil seal, but it fell out anyways. When I slide it back in, it easily goes all the way in, but it doesn't seem to engage the differential. I can easily turn the shaft but the front driveshaft does not turn.
Is this normal, or am I missing something? Currently working on drivers side, passenger side is next.

Thanks, Tom.

tomkilby

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply 79jasper, not seeing how putting the transfer case into 4wd would help but I will give it a shot once it's back together. I am still working on passenger side so I will see how that goes.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
you are just spinning the spider gears and making the other side rotate if both tires are in the air....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well I don't know when they changed it, but my buddies 94 has that crappie vacuum operated junk. It had to be locked in before the axle shafts would quit spinning.
And yeah, ^ what he said also.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

tomkilby

Reaction score
Yeah, I was never a fan of the vacuum operated lock out. Always had Fords with locking hubs but never a failure in 16 years and it sure comes in handy when you only need 4wd for a short distance.

Everything is back together and so far so good, just have to bleed the brakes and try it out. I was just surprised how easily that driver side axle slid back in. I didn't even have to wiggle it to align the splines.

Thanks for the replys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88