Found "sand" in fuel filter - pulled tanks - anyone seen this before?

ferrellmedia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing my rebuild, motor is in, everything was hooked up, getting ready to bleed the fuel system and when I went to replace the fuel filter, I find what looks to be "sand" in the filter.

Well, what to do but pull the tanks, so close to finishing....

I find the tanks both have plenty of rust inside them and lots of "floaties" in the fuel which remains in the tank.

Anyone else seen this "sand" in the filter before?

I don't like to think someone has put sand in my tank, but it sure looks just exactly like sand.

I'm wondering if this isn't the rust from inside the tank after it's been broken down and ends up in the fuel filter.

I've only found one other post where the guy found "sand" in his filter, but he has not responded.

Any assistance is appreciated.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm thinking its alge from what you have posted about floaties in the tanks... Sand usually wont get picked up by the screens but if it did the fuel filter has done its job very well...:sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you live, but I've picked up more than one pump nozzle near the beech that somebody dropped, and scooped up sand in the nozzle end by accident. I always look in the end, and point it at the ground to see what if anything falls out before I refuel.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be stuff from a funky tank at a station. I try to avoid buying fuel from a station that is getting a load of fuel delivered. When the fuel goes into the under ground tank, it stirs up anything that's in there causing it to be pumped into your tank.
Travis..

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a buddie of mine was being harassed and the guy put a lot of sad in his cummins tank and the fass filter got completly full of the sand! i would get a locking cap and get fuel samples from your usual fill stations

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you live, but I've picked up more than one pump nozzle near the beech that somebody dropped, and scooped up sand in the nozzle end by accident. I always look in the end, and point it at the ground to see what if anything falls out before I refuel.

I'ts always a good idea to look down the end of the nozzle.
A friend of mine in Cali just went through hell with one of his new powerstroke tow trucks because some ******* shoved a paper towel in the end of the fuel nozzle. It took several trips to the dealer and alot of down time for them to discover that he had paper towel plugging up the screen in the fuel tank.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

I usually give the nozzle a couple of whacks on the side of the pump. Cleans out the mystery crap quickly.:D