Forgot to purge...

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I scored about 18-19 gallons of nearly ****** hydraulic oil a couple days ago at a little hydraulic repair place near where I work. It's pretty thick stuff @ 60F and gave my sucker pump a hard time, but I got it home and cut it with 5 gal. of ULSD, heated & filtered it for a day. Zero water & contaminants, because it was filtered as it came out of the equipment in anticipation of reuse but the customer specified a thinner oil for the season since the equip was in for repair anyway. I filled the front tank with the finished product and took Henry for a test run to see how he liked it- must have been some quality stuff because my advance and retard even worked right a couple times. LOL Anyway, while I was out I stopped and picked up some dinner to take home to momma. By the time I got home I was entranced by the smell of Mongolian beef and House special fried rice and forgot to switch to the back tank to purge with ULSD before shutdown... Well, this morning I had to go pick up a compressor pump I found on Craigs list and Henry had the "Can't start got them thick oil blues", so I switched tanks and let the Holley Red run for about 5 min until I heard the note change and tried again several times, but no pop. I gave my can of ether to my daughter for emergencies, but never replaced it. Guy with compressor is waiting for me. What to do... WD40 no longer has the "right stuff", all out of brake cleaner, hair dryer doesn't get hot enough fast enough... Oh, I know- took the shears to some SS bug screen I had and cut a couple 8"x8" squares, shoved my fist in them to make bowls and bent the corners to hang on the intake stacks. Then I soaked paper towels in acetone and laid them in the bowls. Henry started immediately, albeit with just a little knock but nothing at all like ether. I'm NOT advocating starting our IDI's this way, but in a pinch it's something to remember...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That must have been thick stuff lol. I always carried a can of starter fluid when I was running wmo just for emergencies.

We'll get that worn ip replaced tomorrow and then we can are how see runs then. I should be there between 1230 and 1, gotta go to church.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight