Ford admits the 6.0 sucks..................

mjstef

Big Sky Country....
Reaction score
The rising quality costs stem largely from increased warranty expenses for 2004 models, including a trouble-plagued diesel engine for heavy-duty trucks. "The biggest issues we've had for 2004 were the diesel engines," said Jerry Reynolds, whose Prestige Ford in Garland, Texas, is one of the nation's highest volume Ford dealers.

I sure wish i could unload mine but with Diesel being 60-70 cents higher a gallon than gas and the know problems with the 6.0 i would take a serious bath!! Hell my 03 is worth less with 70K miles than my 00 was worth in 03 with 130K!!!!

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
That's one serious statment....wunder whut the board of directors is thinnin' :eek:

Time to go back to the early Stooper Doopy or OBS ;Sweet

rray32539

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A case of selective editing, my friend. You would make a good news producer at one of the major gloom and doom news networks. Read the REST of the quote:

The biggest issues we've had for 2004 were the diesel engines," said Jerry Reynolds, whose Prestige Ford in Garland, Texas, is one of the nation's highest volume Ford dealers. "We were spending a lot of money trying to fix them."
Reynolds said it took Ford some time to find the flaw, which turned out to be a problem with fuel injectors -- a component produced by an outside supplier. However, he said Ford took good care of customers whose trucks were affected by the glitch, giving some full-size pickups as loaners and covering some monthly payments.
"I was proud of how they stepped up," Reynolds said, adding that he has had no problems with the newer models.

All emphasis added mine.

I have no problems with my 2005 F-250 Lariat. None. Zip. My sister had the wiring harness recall performed on her truck as a precaution, Ford loaned her a car at no charge while her truck was in the shop. She has experienced no problems with her 2004 F-250 Harley, zero, nada. When will people quit beating up Ford over this engine? Everyone that sees my truck likes it, everyone who rides in my truck LOVES it. And they can't believe something so big gets the fuel economy that it gets. I continuously have that 6.0 grin. :D

Last edited:

bedwards

Reaction score
Have had only minor teething problems with mine early on around 7500 which Ford stepped up and handled. It has been great since. With 38000 on the clock, I love driving mine
BE

strokin

Reaction score
Had an EGR valve stick on mine. Other then that I love the truck. I have 30,000 on it

tgatch

Reaction score
My truck has been great too. Small problems here and there... EGR Valve, VGT Sensor, and an EBP sensor. Now I have a coolant leak which is only in the morning after it has been cold. I've been informed by another on the forums that he had the same leak and it was his EGR cooler.

All of my issues have been relatively minor. The truck has NEVER left me sitting.

mjstef

Big Sky Country....
Reaction score
tgatch said:
My truck has been great too. Small problems here and there... EGR Valve, VGT Sensor, and an EBP sensor. Now I have a coolant leak which is only in the morning after it has been cold. I've been informed by another on the forums that he had the same leak and it was his EGR cooler.

All of my issues have been relatively minor. The truck has NEVER left me sitting.
Yup, EGR cooler and the leak will get worse as time goes by. Took them a month to get a cooler in for mine last december. By that time i was adding a gallon of anti-freeze every 2 days. .......

nummit

Reaction score
I have never had a problem with my 04...NOT ONE!
I have had four recalls done,but never a hiccup on the street or track.
My only gripe is the stock limited slip sucks dirty ass.

HOIB

MYRMIDON
Reaction score
I've not a problem, but have oil on bell housing. I'm not going to worry about it till it becomes a leak right now it's a seep.
she's been in two accidents and it still tracks as good as new if not better.
I only whine cause it costs a c-note to fill it

BMF

Reaction score
About a year and a half ago a friend of mine was braggin to me about the new F-350 the volunteer fire dept. he's part of got. I told him I'd heard they were havin some trouble with new 6.0's and he went to tellin me I was full of it and what a piece my Dodge was. While he bad mouthin my truck his phone rang and it was the guys from the VFD lettin him know the crank case on the ford was full of diesel. I don't think the truck had 500 miles on it yet. I never did find out what the problem was.
I've had a powerstroke and two cummins so far and all three have been good trucks.

Rcannon

Go Cards!
Reaction score
BMF said:
About a year and a half ago a friend of mine was braggin to me about the new F-350 the volunteer fire dept. he's part of got. I told him I'd heard they were havin some trouble with new 6.0's and he went to tellin me I was full of it and what a piece my Dodge was. While he bad mouthin my truck his phone rang and it was the guys from the VFD lettin him know the crank case on the ford was full of diesel. I don't think the truck had 500 miles on it yet. I never did find out what the problem was.
I've had a powerstroke and two cummins so far and all three have been good trucks.

I've been cruisin the diesel forums since late 2002 and you can take the above statements and put ANY brand in any of the brand specific text...such as shown below:

About a year and a half ago a friend of mine was braggin to me about the new GMC 3500 the volunteer fire dept. he's part of got. I told him I'd heard they were havin some trouble with new Duramaxs and he went to tellin me I was full of it and what a piece my Ford was. While he bad mouthin my truck his phone rang and it was the guys from the VFD lettin him know the upper flange was stuck in the forward rear whatchamacallit. I don't think the truck had 500 miles on it yet. I never did find out what the problem was.
I've had a Cummins and two Toyotas :rotflmao so far and all three have been good trucks.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i work on the 6.0s every day and the 03-04s have the most issues, the 05s are a changed motor i have only seen one problem with them, high pressure oil fitting leak causing low icp pressure and a truck stall or no start condition. the was a TSB out hinting towards that, but the guy i aprentice under and i had to go a week to figure the 1st truck we did of those, but since then when an 05 comes in no start condition, thats usually the culprit, i woudltn expect alot of those to fail. The 03 and 04s honestly arent as dependable as a 7.3 but arent as bad as everyone is saying they are, its the interpritions of the problems. The reason they are seeing problems is because of the new emessions controls on them. EGR's foul out alot because of long idling periods, these trucks need a high idle switch if they are going to idle for long periods of time...i dont know how many yellow maryland state trucks come in with a black smoke issue and we have to replace the EGR valve on them. the injector issue i have seen alot and from what i just read i guess for is blaming the injector maker, witch i dont know for sure but only assume is bosch.

bottom line i would own a 6.0 but would go threw some pre cautionary measures to keep the truck running good (maybe not legal ones but o well)

new 6.4 twin turbos, one can only hope navistar will do that motor right, and we will see them in the 250s-550s in the near future. the 6 cylinder (from what i have heard basically a 6.0 minus two cylinders) cab forward with the twin turbo setup is suposed to be nice, who knows with them no one has bought any from my work.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
p.s. i heard this word of mouth from someone, a dependable someone, but still only word of mouth, but the 2005 PSD 6.0 had less warrenty claims then the last year of the 7.3 PSD