ford 7.8 and allison md3060

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looking for input on anything to mate a 7.8 to a 3060. i found a knowledgeable guy at an allison dealer and has looked around but but cant find any adapters for that series trans. i could possibly have something machined but figured id ask around first.

i can only guess at hp and torque numbers to be around 400+ and 800+ so any smaller auto will doubtfully hold up. last resort would be a standard trans..

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I’m trying to recall the last year the 7.8 was used in trucks. I’m thinking early 90’s. The 7.8 had a limited success as a refuse truck engine, but they all had Allisons. I’m thinking the MT 643 / 653 which was durable enough, just lacking OD. What I do not know is if the WT electronic trans use the same torque converter interface. I do have one or two friends in the Allison business that would know. You’ll have to pm me to remind me to dig up those old contacts. Assuming you already have the 7.8? Take the time to pull the front cover and inspect the gear train. They were prone to coming apart in there producing similar results as the Cummins killer dowl pin. Busted covers, cams and sometimes blocks.....

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the odometer it's only got 64k on it. A p-7100 and much larger turbo will be added. From what I've read it has the potential for that power and be reliable.

Yes I have the 7.8 just sourcing a trans. I will remind you.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As was said. Most of the 7.8's I've seen came with the mt series allisons. The md3060 was introduced around 91 and the 7.8 was done around 94, so I would think there would be at least one instance where the two were married at the factory.

I would think it wouldn't be too complicated to bolt up though. I'm going to assume they were both sae2 housings, so no adapter needed there. You'll have to find the protrustion spec of the torque converter from the transmission and then compare that to the depth measurement from the flywheel face to the housing. Usually if the allison had a locking torque converter, the space between the flywheel and torque converter is pretty small, so all you might have to do is drill new holes in the flywheel and run a washer or 2 as a shim.

Ironman, I wish I would have known you had one to give away, I've been looking to add OD to my school bus for sometime now. It's hard finding those things as a complete setup where the seller doesn't want your first born for it.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah they will bolt up fine bell housing wise. he said there was no listing that allison has the adapter to mate the engine crank to the converter. he gave me the drawings and measurements of how its supposed to bolt together.

its hard to find any info on anything with these engines.