foamy the filter

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am at about 9k mile, so was thinking its time for a air filter. Looking up part number I find the 6.9 and 7.3 have a slight different filter, the 6.9 has foam and the 7.3 dose not. The wix part numbers are 46200 and 46255, is there a benifit to having the foam over not or is it a draw back?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the pictures, that foam looks like the same type foam pre-filter that is on my lawn and garden equipment. That foam helps in dusty conditions. If traps some of the "larger" dust and helps to keep the paper element cleaner, longer. The foam can be removed and cleaned out (air, wash, etc) and put back on.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That foam helps in dusty conditions. If traps some of the "larger" dust and helps to keep the paper element cleaner, longer. The foam can be removed and cleaned out (air, wash, etc) and put back on.

Thanks for letting me know the foam comes off, will see about pulling it off to futher inspect the core filter.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Wix filter with the foam wrap. it does catch a lot of dirt that would be other wise on the paper filter.
I remove it from time to time and wash it in a bucket of hot soapy water, and rinse good. Amazing the amount of dirt it catches, and how clean the paper behind it is.

I have a spare Foam Wrap from another replaced filter, that I can use to swap on when I wash the other one. But with dry air here, they dry in no time.

Here in Nevada it is pretty dusty and dry.

Goat

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once tried the Wix filter with the foam wrap but there seemed to be a noticeable difference in performance with or without the foam wrap. I prefer without the wrap. But I also don't regularly drive in particularly dusty conditions.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once tried the Wix filter with the foam wrap but there seemed to be a noticeable difference in performance with or without the foam wrap. I prefer without the wrap. But I also don't regularly drive in particularly dusty conditions.
Comon over to Nevada, we`ll give you some dust...LOL
Right now we are filtering out all your smoke from Ca. from the Tamarak fire.
It looks like LA did in the 60`s with the smog.

And CARB says our old Diesels are the problem?
What are they smokin?

Goat

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And CARB says our old Diesels are the problem?
What are they smokin?

What's really odd/funny/tragic is that they are not saying the old diesels are the problem but more saying that old diesels are a problem if they are used exclusively for business purposes--it's always about the money. My truck's engine is obviously no different than an F-SUPERDUTY from the same year but an F-SUPERDUTY is much more likely to be used only in true commercial applications than my F-250. California is a pay-to-play state in a pay-to-play country so, in my opinion, the ******** is two pronged. Cannabis was only legalized here after the state secured a system to ensure they got their cut of the money. Sorry for going off-topic, and have a nice day.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Cannabis was only legalized here after the state secured a system to ensure they got their cut of the money. Sorry for going off-topic, and have a nice day.
Here's my feelings on your subject off the subject. I don't and never will smoke that crap. If someone else wants to do it, fine, just don't blow your smoke toward me. That part that bothered me was seeing all of the people on the news who were celebrating the legalization so they could now do it legally. All I could see is a bunch of idiots who were celebrating paying even more of their income toward taxes. Now, the only state that legalized it that I can speak of personally is Colorado. They (the state government) like to brag about the extra millions of tax dollars that come into the state from this. There's three interstates that run through Denver. Every one of them is so rough that I feel like I should get out and lock in my front hubs before driving them. WHERE DOES ALL OF THAT EXTRA MONEY GO TO? Obviously it doesn't go toward fixing the highways!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my feelings on your subject off the subject. I don't and never will smoke that crap. If someone else wants to do it, fine, just don't blow your smoke toward me. That part that bothered me was seeing all of the people on the news who were celebrating the legalization so they could now do it legally. All I could see is a bunch of idiots who were celebrating paying even more of their income toward taxes. Now, the only state that legalized it that I can speak of personally is Colorado. They (the state government) like to brag about the extra millions of tax dollars that come into the state from this. There's three interstates that run through Denver. Every one of them is so rough that I feel like I should get out and lock in my front hubs before driving them. WHERE DOES ALL OF THAT EXTRA MONEY GO TO? Obviously it doesn't go toward fixing the highways!

I agree 100% what you said there.
Giving the Government more money does not fix anything.

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online