Flywheel Question

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
Is it possible to use the flywheel from an 84 6.9 with an 89 7.3?
I know the 7.3 has the DMF, but I dunno if that would make a difference or not? My problem is, is when I was bolting that goofy plate to the flywheel (the one the clutch presses against. not sure what it's called) I only had 2 of the right bolts and used 4 others I thought would work. Turns out the ones for it are fine thread and the ones I used were coarse thread. I stripped one out and I'm afraid of torquing the other ones done so I don't strip them. Idiot mistake, I know. I gotta learn to keep the beer away from the garage...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in short, there is no issues whatsoever.,
I currently have a t-19 flywheel behind a 7.3 in the Sulaco and have no issues whatsoever.
i should update my sig line....

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
the t-19 flywheel is not directly compatable with the ZF. the parts can be bought to make it work though. check out cheaperjeepers write up in the tech section. he lists out the part numbers needed to use a regular SMF flywheel on a zf.

found it, this thread goes over the differances but the part numbers are listed in post 18
http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16973&page=2

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in short, there is no issues whatsoever.,
I currently have a t-19 flywheel behind a 7.3 in the Sulaco and have no issues whatsoever.
i should update my sig line....

Me too Calvin. My '86 F250 has been running with a '89 7.3 IDI and '86 6.9 flywheel, clutch, and T-19 for 6 years. Not a problem.

Heath

subway

Reaction score
You get rid of the dual mass setup. They can get troublesome and are very expensive to replace as they get older.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You get rid of the dual mass setup. They can get troublesome and are very expensive to replace as they get older.
problem injection systems (pump and injectors) will give you symptoms of a bad DMF when the problem is actually upstream.

subway

Reaction score
problem injection systems (pump and injectors) will give you symptoms of a bad DMF when the problem is actually upstream.

And if you have more than about 3/4 play the dmf flywheel is shot. That's in the $800-1000 range to change out.

That is assuming you do not have any other injection problems like Calvin mentioned. I got lucky and found someone before me put a Luke in my truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online