Flywheel Housing Problem

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 chevy 4500 chassis cab in our shop right now with a bad coolant leak. I pressure tested it and found that the flywghell housing is cracked...after calling the customer and explaing what was wrong and how much it is to fix...(close to 1200 parts and labor) he said he had this same thing happen on the same truck less than a year ago. has anyone had this problem...or know of anything that would cause a repeat failure of the same part? its an almost 7 hour job and i really dont want this thing coming back in a year with the same problem again.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I have a 04 chevy 4500 chassis cab in our shop right now with a bad coolant leak. I pressure tested it and found that the flywghell housing is cracked...after calling the customer and explaing what was wrong and how much it is to fix...(close to 1200 parts and labor) he said he had this same thing happen on the same truck less than a year ago. has anyone had this problem...or know of anything that would cause a repeat failure of the same part? its an almost 7 hour job and i really dont want this thing coming back in a year with the same problem again.

I'm still new to Duramax' so I'm just reiterating what is probably obvious to you. Could there be vibration such as loose or failed motor mounts or tranny mounts causing the housing to crack and in turn damaging the coolant line that runs down the back of the block. Maybe even the TC itself. Although the Ally is a good transmission, it's max stock power rating is only about 100ft/lbs above a stock Dmax. If anything other than minor performance upgrades are done to the engine (programmers, etc), it is highly recommended to upgrade the tranny first or in conjunction with engine mods.
It always seemed odd to me that you could only get the Dmax in the 4500, but used to be able to get the Cat in the 5500. The Dmax does not seem "robust" enough for this application. I have driven 4500's with the Dmax and felt like I needed to baby it so it didn't break...unlike my one ton.:D Just mash the pedal and GO.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online