Fixed My Camber & Sag Issues

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I built up a few plates of of 1/4" steel and installed them between the spring and axle to get rid of the sag and camber issues that I was having with the truck. Here are a few pics of what I did. I have an adjustable upper ball joint, but it was already adjusted to "lean" the topside of the tire out, but it still wasn't enough. The top of the tires "lean" out a little bit now, but with a little adjustment, the tires will be straight again. It added about 2" of clearnace in the wheel wells and raised the body as well. The truck rides level now. I replaced the spring bolt with new ones ($6.00 each at NAPA), and made sure everything is nice and tight. I need new shocks in the front, but want to see how I can convert it to the sytle of shock that has "eyes" on both ends rather than an "eye" on the bottom and stud on the top. I included an old pic that shows the clearance in the fender before I did this.

Attachments

• DSC01155.JPG
    DSC01155.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC01156.JPG
    DSC01156.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC01157.JPG
    DSC01157.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC01158.JPG
    DSC01158.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC01159.JPG
    DSC01159.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC01160.JPG
    DSC01160.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC01161.JPG
    DSC01161.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00573.jpg
    DSC00573.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 6

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Aw... c'mon now. You just band-aided it. When you said fix it, I was thinking D60.:rotflmao

Just be prepared for the "lift blocks under the front end" discussion. Yours look pretty placid, not excessively tall and longer than the perch on the axle. Either way, you need to get yer paws on a D60

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Aw... c'mon now. You just band-aided it. When you said fix it, I was thinking D60.:rotflmao

Just be prepared for the "lift blocks under the front end" discussion. Yours look pretty placid, not excessively tall and longer than the perch on the axle. Either way, you need to get yer paws on a D60

I know, I know... That's why this is only a band-aid. Just got me a D60 for $500 and on payments. Going to get it tomorrow. I'm not sure what the gear set is in it, but for the price I wasn't going to take too long asking questions. It's a complete D60 and will be going under the truck within a week or two. I just did this to "fix" it so that I could have it on the road until I get the Explorer back up and going so that I have a backup vehicle in case the D60 swap takes me a couple days. I'm hoping to complete the swap in one day.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
That looks pretty good. Good enough to get you to the D60 ;Sweet
You can tell the camber is off though, did you drive it before them pics? Sometimes just letting them off jacks they'll look like that til they get driven some.
Either way, looks way more better level.

Give me a ring if you want tomorrow, I'm headed to bed

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
That looks pretty good. Good enough to get you to the D60 ;Sweet
You can tell the camber is off though, did you drive it before them pics? Sometimes just letting them off jacks they'll look like that til they get driven some.
Either way, looks way more better level.

Give me a ring if you want tomorrow, I'm headed to bed

I hadn't driven it yet when I took the pics. After putting about 25 miles on it now, the tires are much straighter. It's still off a bit, but not enough to justify $55 to have it fixed just to yank it all out in a week. I'm hoping to roll that D60 under it this weekend since going over to Portland is not possible for me right now. I will call you tomorrow.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I know, I know... That's why this is only a band-aid. Just got me a D60 for $500 and on payments. Going to get it tomorrow. I'm not sure what the gear set is in it, but for the price I wasn't going to take too long asking questions. It's a complete D60 and will be going under the truck within a week or two. I just did this to "fix" it so that I could have it on the road until I get the Explorer back up and going so that I have a backup vehicle in case the D60 swap takes me a couple days. I'm hoping to complete the swap in one day.

$500 for a complete D60 is great, especially if all the bracketry is included... Good luck on the swap;Sweet

Matt Dierks

Reaction score
I have a 1992 with my passenger side front wheel leaning negative pretty bad inward on top. Is this a camber bushing issue, or something worse? It rubs bad when backing up. I have worked on a lot of things but never any of the steering/wheel alignment stuff.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have a 1992 with my passenger side front wheel leaning negative pretty bad inward on top. Is this a camber bushing issue, or something worse? It rubs bad when backing up. I have worked on a lot of things but never any of the steering/wheel alignment stuff.
Read up on the ttb system.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online