First small batch of WMO

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to experiment with waste motor oil and possibly wvo or biodiesel in the future. Ive collected maybe 10 gallons of used motor oil from cars, trucks and gas generators.

I plan to just settle and filter for now. Later I plan to build a heater and buy a centrifuge to assist the filtering.

What filters have been used? Options? Preferences? What size microns? Where can I pick some up?

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Most will probably say you don't need filters if you CF. If you want to filter, look into hydraulic and fuel filters. The best fuel filter is the CAT 2 micron filter, but oil movement through that is pretty slow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a home water filter setup.

Let the big stuff and water settle in my truck mounted 100 gal collection tank, then a bottom sump hose to dump the impurities/water out. Once those have run out, I put the WMO into 5 gal buckets through sieves from usplastics from around 500 microns down to 100, and cut with RUG. A thorough mix with a paint mixer drill attachment then they're set aside to further settle. Final filtration is done with water-filter style elements at 50, 20, 5, 1, and a water separator. My setup uses a cheapo harbor freight pump, fed from a slightly elevated 5 gal bucket. I pump it through the filters into a 15 gallon barrel on a hand truck with a barrel pump.

For tiny batches I'd recommend a couple filter socks and just pour it through.

janssen

Reaction score
I want to experiment with waste motor oil and possibly wvo or biodiesel in the future. Ive collected maybe 10 gallons of used motor oil from cars, trucks and gas generators.

I plan to just settle and filter for now. Later I plan to build a heater and buy a centrifuge to assist the filtering.

What filters have been used? Options? Preferences? What size microns? Where can I pick some up?

I have been using WMO for a few years and really happy with it. Nothing is free though - so yes it can be a pain - but once you get all the kinks worked out it is great.

First off - if you only run 10 gallons you will never go through with it. Simply because one of the most frustrating times is the beginning - when you run W85 it contains detergents from the WMO, this cleans all the varnish, buildup in your tanks & lines and deposits it into your fuel filter. So you need to carry extra filters and some priming diesel as it can plug up at any time. This only last the first 400km or so and then you are back to "normal" filter changes - as long as you clean you fuel properly. But of course it happens at the most inopportune time - not when you are driving in your grubbies already.

The setup. I don't know what kind of space you have - I assume you aren't doing this in your kitchen, if you are then your single or soon to be. :)

What I would suggest is to do a simple (Cost effective) setup that you can work on refining (ie. sinking more $$ in) later.

When dealing with cleaning WMO gravity & time are your friend, looking back if I was starting over this is what I SHOULD have done.

Get 4 barrels. ( I prefer steel - but plastic has it's benefits - makes a nice sight glass.)

Cut bottom out of one barrel and elevate this at least barrel height
Put a valve in one bung (this is going to be your settling drain mostly for water but some other nasty stuff as well)
Plumb a line with a valve from second bung to a barrel below - this barrel is going to be your UPFLOW barrel
make an upflow barrel filter - benefits, design etc -> google is your friend :0
run line from upflow filter to third barrel via Whole house water filter and a ball valve - use a 5mic filter (inline centrifuge can here later)

Filter setup is complete. cost is minimal.

Now using it....
Fill top barrel and let settle for a week or so, drain off any water, nasty stuff then open valve and let work through the system - slow is better for the upflow filter to work so close ball valve so it just trickles out.

take 4th barrel pour 30 liters of low octane gas in and then fill with your filtered oil. Pump into your vehicle via a 1-2 micron filter.

This works well - you can store, settle and filter your next batch while burning up your first.

Also fits nice into any normal suburban garage :) I prefer totes myself and settling oil for a few months.

All this is just my opinion / experience talking - as always YMMV

John

Last edited:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@janssen - Any pics of the wagoneer?

I have a simple centrifuge and couldnt be happier. Total cost was like $200.

janssen

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Putting a new BDS lift on it next week - 4bt trashed the cheap springs it came with so thought I would try air bags - what a monumentally stupid idea. was beautiful on the highway but only is about 2 inches of travel - nasty on my roads. the back roads. was nice for working though - air down and reach in. no standing on milk crates to reach.

Your centrifuge - what design did you use?
My plan: oil filter centrifuge, fed by gear pump in a closed loop - so oil constantly recirculates through the filter, put oil pan heater on oil filter canister, then let it gravity trickle feed from tank to tank. CAn turn down the feed as much as I want or crank it up.

janssen

Reaction score
interested but thinking that the shipping to canada would be a *****.

I remember the old grand nationals - so very cool back in the day. Is a beautiful one in my area always brings back memories when I see it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88