First MB post, slid in here from Ford 7.3NA

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
I have an 85 190D auto i picked up that is in overall good shape besides needing trans rebuild. Engine is tip top, interior clean, no other major issues.

I am looking for a rebuild kit, manual and tips/tricks if anyone has any input I thank you in advance!

The trans def needs rebuilt, its not just out of adjustment. And while in there I will replace the rear main seal as well.

Glad to be part of the forum and to see there is support for another of my loved diesel-powered vehicles!

Last edited:

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck in finding the manuals. I will be watching this. :)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome! 2.2 or 2.5 diesel?
ZF auto trans is a special animal. I am a closet MB mech and own at least one MBZ at any given time. Fortunately, I have a friend who specializes in nothing but ZF autos, so I pull them out and ship them to him to play with. I can forward you the info when you get tired of poking around it.

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
Well according to info from a writeup on this subforum I was corrected in my assumption it was a 1.9L! Ill upload my screensshot. It is a 2.2L diesel with an auto trans.

The car starts, idles and runs great...before I let it sit, sadly. Needs a charge but jumps them runs fine. I had 1 MB before but I work on mostly Ford or toyota "cagers" and honda or yamaha motor bikes. I have to say the PO obviously put some effort or upkeep into the engine. Seems he didnt want to mess with the trans at all and perhaps that is for reasons I may come to know soon.

I had seen a rebuild parts kit for the trans not long after bringing the car home but not much else since.

I used the car around town for a while but the trans was not only in major need of rebuild but leaked like a sieve so i kept it away from areas of the property i didnt want the fluids :/ this next week ill likely air up the tires and charge it up to move it in preparation for trans removal.

Thanks for the interest in my project. Hope to learn and share what I learn along the way!

You must be registered for see images attach

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like seeing benz traffic here. I am definitely a fan and always have a few laying around.
Too bad you don't have a 5 speed to throw in. I have driven a manual 190, they are great little cars.

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
I found a parts haus with what seems to be everything i will need in stock. Check it out, ill attach pics of the entire shopping list. Someone chime in if I've overlooked something.

I am assuming i will need everything here or it will at least be smart to replace while in there. But maybe im forgetting something? Thanks all!

turbodiesel

Reaction score

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
So the last few months have been a special kind of **** storm and the MB has been sitting.

I pulled the battery though and it is toast. Put that on the list...

I also noticed some marker writing on the fan shroud. It had to be hit at just the right angle of sunlight to see what it said but it turns out the PO did do a trans service. I will assume that is why it has **** the bed... I knew the trans fluid looked to be new, which wasnt what I wanted to see, but the magic marker he almost completely erased said "full trans service - 3-17". The Tags are now out on it again... amazing how fast time slips by!!

Anyways, I am going to have to move the car as the City is going around putting in curbs in my area and it is parked on top of the to-be-curb. I am fairly certain it will need some trans fluid in it, but I will have to take a battery from my F250 if it will fit, or the boat maybe just whatever fits, and get it moved. I have space inside the yard that needs a little "weed killer" so ill put it there and start prepping it for the trans pull. I am certain there are parts in my way if it is anything like the last MB I had.

This was supposed to be my winter project but I got into a barter agreement with a "Ford mechanic" that was a massive waste of my time. I am almost clear of the **** pile he created, but combined with the curbs being put in and the wife not being too keen on multiple projects sitting inside the fenced yard it is going to have to get pushed along now.

turbodiesel

Reaction score
Before you pull the trans, hit the Mercedes forums for the specific series transmission you have. Look on the pan rail just above the trans pan for the transmission number. For example my 722.3 trans has some items that should be replaced even if they do not show wear or damage. I learned of this though the forums and the ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group) rebuild manual. Some items have to be ordered from the dealership and may have to come from Germany. If you plan on keeping this vehicle, do your homework so you have the best outcome on the rebuild. Also, before pulling it, check out the vacuum lines and vacuum modulator. If it is a diesel, it may be similar to the 123/124 series MB where there is a vacuum box tied to the throttle that controls the vacuum to the modulator and the quality and firmness of the shifts. The "Bowden" cable, a morse type of pull cable also controls shifts.

What are the specific symptoms the transmission is experiencing? Many people have the trans rebuilt, when it was just a vacuum / cable issue.

Oh, and the vacuum modulator is probably adjustable if it is like the 722.3 version.

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
What are the specific symptoms the transmission is experiencing? Many people have the trans rebuilt, when it was just a vacuum / cable issue.

Oh, and the vacuum modulator is probably adjustable if it is like the 722.3 version.

Thanks, I do plan to poke around some with the vacuum gauge to see if I can find anything.

The symptoms - first thing noticed was how long it takes to shift into gear. Glow plugs work, fires up nicely, then 2-3 second delay before drops in gear. It is a little less after driving it but still 1-2 seconds to go into gear. The vehicle is sluggish, not expecting a rocket but once it does get moving has to get pretty high RPM before a slow/soft shift. Also will not stay in 4th gear. I only drove it above 50mph one time and it slipped out of gear so it has only been used around town for groceries, parts, out to dinner type driving since then.

It also leaks - both trans fluid and engine oil.

turbodiesel

Reaction score
The slow engagement might be an accumulator in the valve body, I would not pull the trans if that was the only problem. That problem could also be hard orings in the clutch drums behind the apply piston in the bottom of the drum. When they get hard they leak and it takes longer for the clutches to apply due to the leaks. The slow soft shifts could very easily be too low of line pressure from an improperly adjusted vacuum modulator or too much vacuum signal to the modulator during shifting. By too much signal, I mean the vacuum valve is not working properly or some portion of the vacuum line system is giving too much vacuum to the modulator. With a diesel, no vacuum or low vacuum (line disconnected from the modulator) gives the firmest shift. But the slipping in 4th does not sound promising. I'm sure you have checked the fluid level....when mine was leaking before I rebuilt it, it would get low and then slip a mile or two down the road. I have been told that the diesels in the 190 series are very low power.

You could do a simple test by disconnecting the vacuum line from the modulator. It should produce very harsh shifts with it disconnected if the trans is not slipping from other issues.
Keep in mind, all these comments are based on the operation of the Mercedes 722.3 transmission. I suspect yours is similar, but I do not know that for sure.

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
That makes sense, ill get some test time in on it today, been really hectic around here.

On the plus side, yesterday I got in it to run to pick up some dinner and it shifted into gear pretty quickly. Like seemed to almost immediately shift so I will pick up where you mentioned with oulling vac line and seeing if that does anything for me!

Thanks guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx